Using Frieling French press for cold brew coffee

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
rpavlis

#1: Post by rpavlis »

A while back I decided to try to make cold brew coffee. After quite a few experiments I finally settled on the following method using a 1 litre Frieling stainless steel French Press:

1. I first grind 65 grams of beans using an ancient hand grinder I got from a Joplin antique shop many years ago. It produces a grind that is rather different than "grocery store" ground coffee, with very irregular particles with minimal fines. I regard that as a plus.

2. I put the ground coffee into the French Press and fill it to about 2 cm from the top with water at between 30 to 35 degrees. (The temperature is fairly important. If too cold the beans do not extract very well. If too hot the product is dreadful, it is extremely bitter. I stir the ground-bean mixture thoroughly, and put the lid on the French press without pressing the handle, of course.) I put the French press in the door of the refrigerator. (With the handle up that is the only place in the refrigerator tall enough to hold it. ) I leave the French press in the refrigerator for 10 hours. From time to time I stir the mixture.

3. After 10 hours I push the French press plunger down and pour off the resulting brew into another container. I put the container back into the refrigerator. I lift the plunger of the French press, and add 200 mL of room temperature water. I stir this. Leaving the handle up, I put the French press back into the refrigerator for four more hours.

4. I next press down the French press lever, and pour the second batch of brew into the first. I discard the grounds and clean the French Press and then put the mixture of the first and second brewing back into the clean French press.

The stuff seems to be fine for at least two or three days. I generally have it all drunk very soon.

stephan

#2: Post by stephan »

Interesting. Do you like it more than warm brew?