Turn your French press into a French pull - Page 5

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
tinseljim

#41: Post by tinseljim »

I just realised something - something everyone else has already noticed probably!

If the spout was 1/4 the way up the FP with more FP body above it then we wouldn't have nearly the mess with the FP pull. Instead all the grounds would go up top. Something like this:

http://www.panik-design.com/acatalog/St ... e_Pot.html

But with a FP plunger installed.

Would this work?

James

sweaner

#42: Post by sweaner »

Interesting. It looks like the press from this one could fit that pot:

http://www.panik-design.com/acatalog/St ... n_2d01_2d3
Scott
LMWDP #248

cannonfodder (original poster)
Team HB

#43: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

Interesting. A coffee pot with a bottom pour spout instead of a top mounted spout or lip like a carafe. You could pull the plunger to just above the water line and decant your brew without having to pull the plunger all they way out..
Dave Stephens

tinseljim

#44: Post by tinseljim »

I know right.

But how do we get it below £159/$260 ?!

dialydose

#45: Post by dialydose »

For similar results, with less mess and work you could use the Clever coffee maker. Sweet Maria's sells them for about $12 and they make an awesome cup of coffee.

Psyd

#46: Post by Psyd »

tinseljim wrote:Would this work?
I see serious problems with water/coffee/grounds being ejected at worst, or grounds being 'stored' there until the first pour, at best. Either when you push or pull.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

The_Left_Hand

#47: Post by The_Left_Hand »

Psyd wrote:I see serious problems with water/coffee/grounds being ejected at worst, or grounds being 'stored' there until the first pour, at best. Either when you push or pull.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175
A slide to close off the spout until it's needed would work handsomely.
—"What's sleep?"

Gime2much

#48: Post by Gime2much »

Anyone mentioned the Bodum Tea press pot? The basket for the tea leaves/ground tea is removable after steeping and you can forgo pressing if you want. I'll try a pot later tonight and test it out.

Personally I prefer my press pot just the way it is otherwise would make vac or pour over.

cannonfodder (original poster)
Team HB

#49: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

I have seen those Bodums before and thought about that. Some of the tea kettles have a sleeve that sits in the top of the pot. Think pasta pot with the mesh liner that goes in a large pot of water. You could fill the inner sleeve with coffee, fill the pot and let it steep. The few I have looked at had a pretty large screen made for whole leaf tea. If you tried using it with ground coffee, I think you would end up with a pot full of sludge. It looks like a lot of the coffee would float out of that tea sieve.
Dave Stephens

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#50: Post by JohnB. »

I think the Hario Mitzudash water brew pot would make a good Press style brew.

I bought mine during the summer & have only used it for cold brewing so far but it is rated for hot liquids.

I have used the Finum Brewing Baskets brewing right in my travel mug or a carafe. Same grind & steep time as press pot but the grounds lift right out when you are done brewing & no bitterness.
LMWDP 267