Turkish coffee with electric kettle

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
kahvedelisi

#1: Post by kahvedelisi »

These days I am in search of a stainless electric kettle for a dear friend. Not that we can purchase from there but for comparison purposes I was also looking at available models from Amazon. Jumping from one page to another, turns out majority of electric cezve brands are now available in USA but they are usually sold under the title "Electric Turkish coffee maker". Anyways, the price tag of some these models are mind blowing. I was surprised to see $6.00 (yes, six, not sixteen or sixty) Sinbo electric cezve retails for $37.39 shipping included. Tefal version (also plastic) is for $76.98 and stainless ones are almost $100.00 :shock:

Technically an electric cezve is a mini kettle with a simple on and off button. Some models do have extra features such as preventing boiling & overflow etc. but since electric cezve takes very very short time to brew, you need to monitor the whole process. Therefore, I personally find those extra features useless. I am pretty sure some of you guys tried your hand at doing this, but for those who are looking for an electric Turkish coffee maker but find current offerings way too expensive, here is the trick.

You can use a stainless kettle for brewing Turkish coffee. I believe the only problem would be the size because they usually come in 1 or 2 liter size, so I suggest using a small one similar to this Bonavita 0.5 lt travel kettle (actually any brand will do as long as the heating elements are not left open to touch, which could be a free and fast ticket to the other side).

This method tested various times with even a larger stainless kettle and works perfectly. I was able to get 12 cups at a time at family meetings etc.
Resistance is futile. You will be caffeinated!