Travel "rig" - refined

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
RAS

#1: Post by RAS »

Just received a Tiamo gooseneck pitcher from Homeloo in Hong Kong. Shipping time was quite quick (maybe 5 days), and the quality of the pitcher, as well as its functionality makes the $23 (plus $8 shipping) a fair price. This is going to be part of my travel rig as I migrate away from an Aeropress (just prefer pourover which seems far more dimensional in flavor). My new travel funnel is a silicone Cuissential SlickDrip from Amazon. Nice form-factor when collapsed, and the flow-through rate is perfect.

But the coolest thing is how the Tiamo fits under a Sunbeam Hot Shot water heater (for travel, I use an immersion heater which dunks nicely into the Tiamo, turning it into a portable boiler). The Hot Shot works fantastic for quickly heating a cup of water, and the Tiamo is the perfect companion for a slow & controlled pour. I'm just finishing a cup of Papua New Guinea Baroida Estate (Sweet Maria's) that is incredible.

I'll post some pictures of my travel rig once I get it all into my trusty (small) case. Next up will be to test it out on the road.

Bob

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

Wow, I have that pitcher in my drawer and I picked up a Hot Shot at a thrift store... it even came with an ancient cup of soup which I decided not to try out.

Problem is that I didn't think that the Hot Shot got quite hot enough for me, I don't remember the temperature I measured... I kept it in case there's a way to mod it, but it's on the back burner right now. Maybe yours gets hotter than mine.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

RAS (original poster)

#3: Post by RAS (original poster) »

I haven't stuck a thermometer in to check, but I have looked in to see the water was a rolling boil as the thermal switch shut off the heating element. Hmm, I wonder if there is some variation between Hot Shots. This one absolutely gets hot enough.
Bob

oktyone

#4: Post by oktyone »

While that kettle is certainly good looking, the ideal travel companion for that silicone dripper would be a foldable silicone kettle as the one also sold by Cuissential, in fact i think if i had to chose, i'd prefer traveling with a foldable kettle rather than a foldable dripper.

SlowRain

#5: Post by SlowRain »

I have that same dripper, or at least one similar to it. It works well.

RAS (original poster)

#6: Post by RAS (original poster) »

oktyone wrote:While that kettle is certainly good looking, the ideal travel companion for that silicone dripper would be a foldable silicone kettle as the one also sold by Cuissential, in fact i think if i had to chose, i'd prefer traveling with a foldable kettle rather than a foldable dripper.
Yes, I also purchased that kettle as well. While it does the job, and collapses down nicely, it is best suited to brewing larger batches. I have a larger silicone funnel which will accommodate a #4 or #6 filter, and with that set on top of a thermos, that kettle works great. It's just a bit tough to get a steady, controlled pour. It will be in my kit for car camping.

Again, pictures of my one-cup travel kit coming. This will be the one I use for business travel, trips abroad, etc.
Bob

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

Faced with a decision on what to do with just 10 grams of Tonx Peru Sandia de Puno Cecovasa Coop coffee, pull a single on my La Peppina or do a small V60, I decided to drag out the Hot Shot and give it another try with the V60. I found out that I can get it to boil if I just keep my finger on the heat button after it shuts off, all's good.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

RAS (original poster)

#8: Post by RAS (original poster) »

Good to hear it. I do the same hold-my-finger-on-the-ON-button trick if someone else has just heated water in the Hot Shot, and the thermoswitch hasn't cooled enough to have another go. Hold it down, and the water will boil.

It's actually a pretty convenient set up, and the Tiamo "gooseneck pitcher" really does give you incredible pouring control.

To get totally geeked out, I just bought a higher capacity My Weigh 3001P scale that can be programmed not to auto-shut-off after what it perceives as a period with no use. I just set my cup and cone on top of the scaled and slowly pour away until I have the 250gm of water I've been using for 15gm of coffee. While I say it seems geeky, it's actually an incredibly simple way to make a cup of coffee.
Bob