Travel alternative to espresso machine

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Séb

#1: Post by Séb »

Hi everyone, first post here but long time reader. I enjoy a lot the discussion on this forum.

I do few trips every year and usually rent a small house where we stay for a week. I am a big fan of espresso drinks but I don't want to bring my equipments with us. So I am always trying to find a good alternative to an espresso machine that could produce a decent robust cup of coffee. I have an Aeropress and I am not a big fan, to me it taste like a drip coffee maker and I use the inverted method. I always use freshly roast coffee as I roast them myself. Now I am interesting to get something that could produce more body and flavors out of my brew but I don't know which one would be best. On my list I have the Espro press and the Bialetti Brikka stove top maker (model Brikka or the traditional Moka Express). I'd like to be able to get at least two 6 oz cup of coffee of the best quality possible. I am open to any other type of brewer.

Thanks,

Boldjava

#2: Post by Boldjava »

Espro. I have two and love them. The small finishes 9 oz and the large 30 oz. It provides a "clean press pot cup" with rich oils and proteins.

Stovetops - heartier than the Espro. Chewy cups, heavy. Silty, though I still like them.
-----
LMWDP #339

Advertisement
vberch

#3: Post by vberch »

Hi Sebastien, if what you are after is espresso, you may consider MyPressi Twist (http://www.mypressi.com). MyPressi paired with a decent grinder is capable of very nice shots. I have mine paired with an Orphan Espresso Lido grinder.

If you have more disposable income to throw at it, consider Portaspresso (http://www.portaspresso.com). Portaspresso makes Rossa HC, a fully manual hand cranked espresso machine and Rossa Air, a compressed air machine. You can pair either with a Portaspresso Rosco or Rosco Mini grinder and you are going to be in business.

[creative nickname]

#4: Post by [creative nickname] »

When I travel, I use an Impress brewer, which is a small and robust French Press. It gives a nice, full-bodied brew, and is sturdy enough that I don't have to worry about breaking it.

The smallest Espro would also be a good choice.
LMWDP #435

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by samuellaw178 »

+1 on what Vberch said.

If you're used to espresso like I do, nothing less than a good shot of espresso will satisfy you - not even the best brew coffee. :mrgreen: For occasional usage when you're on vacation, Mypressi Twist is indeed a very good solution, and cheap. Otherwise, the Portaspresso shown above is every bit as good (if not better) than your Vivaldi, if you're open to the bit of manual ritual involved.

vberch

#6: Post by vberch »

Sam, I agree 100%! I have used a MyPressi Twist for three years at work. I also have a French Press and an Aeropress that I have used as backup to MyPressi. I am in process of switching to Portaspresso.

Nate42

#7: Post by Nate42 »

Espro press is my favorite type of press, although I wouldn't say its dramatically better than a much cheaper traditional press.

If you must have real espresso, a small lever machine and hand grinder makes a pretty good (quasi) portable setup. I took my La Peppina and Pharos on my annual Christmas pilgrimage to Oklahoma last year, worked out pretty well.

Advertisement
bostonbuzz

#8: Post by bostonbuzz »

Do you want a small machine like those shown above, or a better brewing method? I like traveling because I focus on brewed coffee whereas I normally drink 90% espresso at home.

You might want a travel grinder, and that will dictate your brew method. It also doesn't matter how good your espresso/brew grinder is, having a dedicated brew grinder will make your brews better (even if its an enroce). For travelling, espresso you can use a cheap hario slim, but for a brew coffee a rigid shaft is required like that found in the Lido 2 or the Portapresso grinder. Lido 2 for espresso is not the best choice, but it works (I have an adjustment marking mod that makes it easier).

If you have a good brew grinder, than any brewer will be great (including your aeropress), you just have to stick with it long enough until you start getting good brews. If you want the easiest brewer, a French Press or Clever will do the trick.

Of course, you can just bring your baratza if your'e driving.
LMWDP #353

sweaner

#9: Post by sweaner »

+1 on the Impress. Easy to use, easy clean-up, great coffee.
Scott
LMWDP #248

Séb (original poster)

#10: Post by Séb (original poster) »

Thanks for all the great feedback and ideas. Today I had the chance to try a stove top "espresso" maker and to compare it with the same coffee beans on my Aeropress. The coffee from the stove top had more body but the Aeropress cup was much cleaner, better balance in mouth and even if I am looking for more body the Aeropress was the winner for me today and also for the owner of the stove top maker. I am in fact looking to find a way to produce a coffee with more body then my Aeropress while on trip like I am right now for a week. I love espresso and cappuccino. I have a Hario Mini Mill grinder that I use with my Aeropress.

I think I will look more for the espresso maker now. Mypressi, Portapresso Rossa and also the Handpresso. I have actually no idea which one of theses will produce the best cup, I tend to believe that the Portapresso should be the winner but not sure, just a feeling after reading from the three websites. I could probably buy also an electric milk frother and either get a straight espresso or cappuccino during my trips. I need to produce two double shot per day as a minimum.

Thanks