Todd Goldsworthy Kalita Recipe

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Roasty
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Roasty »

Wow! Did anyone see Todd Goldsowrthy's Kalita recipe for his winning brew at the Brewers cup?:

http://sprudge.com/todd-goldsworthy-win ... 98378.html

"Goldsworthy brewed 28 grams of coffee with 350 grams of water in three minutes and fifteen seconds"

Thats a 1/12.5 ratio! I love my Kalita 155. I do 21 grams, 350 grams of water in 2:35. I can't imagine what adding so much more coffee would do . . .

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

I hadn't seen that, I normally do 37.5 g coffee and 600 g water in my Kalita 185 style and my brew times are much longer. I may have to try this just to see how it works, but that sure seems like a lot of coffee. Might be a case of a good recipe for competition to make a coffee really pop and stand out.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

SonVolt

#3: Post by SonVolt »

Roasty wrote:Wow! Did anyone see Todd Goldsowrthy's Kalita recipe for his winning brew at the Brewers cup?:

http://sprudge.com/todd-goldsworthy-win ... 98378.html

"Goldsworthy brewed 28 grams of coffee with 350 grams of water in three minutes and fifteen seconds"

Thats a 1/12.5 ratio! I love my Kalita 155. I do 21 grams, 350 grams of water in 2:35. I can't imagine what adding so much more coffee would do . . .

I'd be concerned with 28 grams of coffee blooming righter over the top of my 155.

Also, I wonder how much of these types of competitions are based on showmanship and personality of the barista rather judging each cup of coffee on its own merit. Not sure what Todd visiting the farm a week prior has to do with anything other than peppering the results with a backstory.

dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by dumpshot »

I am going to try this recipe just for fun. I believe my Lido 2 will be moving into an unprecedented coarseness setting for the Kalita 185.

Just goes to show that there is more than one way to skin a cat.
LMWDP #484

Not2Bitter

#5: Post by Not2Bitter »

SonVolt wrote:I'd be concerned with 28 grams of coffee blooming righter over the top of my 155.

Also, I wonder how much of these types of competitions are based on showmanship and personality of the barista rather judging each cup of coffee on its own merit. Not sure what Todd visiting the farm a week prior has to do with anything other than peppering the results with a backstory.

I've never tried that much In a 155 but Im sure if you just use less water to bloom, then pour rapidly it would kill the volume a bloom gets when you pour gently.

I wonder what his grind was like.

borisblank

#6: Post by borisblank »

Might've missed something, but it looks like Todd was using the 185 Style in the competition. Not sure where the 155 reference snuck in - that sure does sound like too much coffee for a 155!

Have to agree with the Yak - the grind/brew ratio is likely tailored to the coffee, and not one I've ever come across. Says in the article that Klatch make a bunch of different coffees and blends to arrive at the one used in competition. Sounds like a crazy process, right up to the very end.

leon

#7: Post by leon »

I decided to try the 1:12.5 ratio in my Wave 155. 28 grams of coffee was clearly going to overflow so I made a smaller batch, using a natural Ethiopia coffee. My brew time was quite a bit faster than Mr Goldsworthy, so I probably need to tighten up my grind a bit.

The end result was actually pretty good, better than I expected. I'm no good at coffee flavor descriptors so I can't give any more detail than that, but I'll probably experiment with this again.

Boldjava

#8: Post by Boldjava »

yakster wrote:I hadn't seen that, I normally do 37.5 g coffee and 600 g water in my Kalita 185 style and my brew times are much longer. I may have to try this just to see how it works, but that sure seems like a lot of coffee...
He is pushing the pour which is resulting in less extraction. The gram weight compensates for his pour method. My pour times and weights are similar to the YakMan's.
SonVolt wrote:...I wonder how much of these types of competitions are based on showmanship and personality of the barista rather judging each cup of coffee on its own merit. Not sure what Todd visiting the farm a week prior has to do with anything....
I have given a great deal of thought to my own biases within the coffee world due to a totally unrelated discussion I had with Steve at the shop. When I read the article, I had the same reaction as SonVolt. I am not diminishing Goldsworthy's award. It stands on its own. But as a judge, could I eliminate the "Klatch" and "Peterson" names, the presentation of the barista, my own preconceptions of a Gesha? Tough work if I am earnest about the task.
-----
LMWDP #339

TomC
Team HB

#9: Post by TomC »

Sounds like he's brewing clown coffee at those ratios. It's foretelling of what's to come in years ahead.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Bodka Coffee

#10: Post by Bodka Coffee replying to TomC »

Hey Tom. What do you see in years ahead of you don't mind me asking? Interesting.