Technivorm Cup-One: Preliminary User Experience

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Richard

#1: Post by Richard »

Subject line says it all. Does anyone have hands-on knowledge of and experience with this brewer?

EDITED THE FOLLOWING AFTERNOON: These are new enough I really don't expect to hear about much user experience so I bought one this afternoon based on prior good experience with Technivorm.

I've had a 1.25 liter Technivorm Mochamaster for years and like it a lot. For full or nearly full batches only, though. And I also like my coffee very freshly brewed, so the "big" TV doesn't get used more than two or three times a year anymore, when there are multiple people drinking coffee. For several years I've been using V60 pourover and/or small siphon brewers.

At first blush, I like what I see and taste. The TV Cup-One is pretty much the same material and construction as the bigger TV brewers. It uses the little Filtropa #1 filters, brews into a cup rather than a carafe, and the drain hole in the bottom of the basket is small enough to optimize brew/draindown times for ~ 300-500 ml batches. Temperature in the basket, measured during one of several cleaning cycles, was ~ 201 F. It uses a small-diamater stainless steel pipe for water delivery. There is no spray head, but with baskets that small it would be pointless.

With 325 ml of water and 21 g of coffee, total brew time from first eruption of hot water onto the grounds to last drop out of the basket was 5 minutes. I lifted the lid briefly at the 2-minute mark and patted down the bloom with the back of a spoon. Water was fully dispensed at 3 minutes (auto shutoff when it's empty); the last 2 minutes were continued draindown.

In the cup, it's exactly what I expect from a full batch in the big TV brewer. It doesn't get much better.
-- Richard

Advertisement
GGinTexas

#2: Post by GGinTexas »

I've got an interest in there single cup version myself. I would love to match the color to my present technivorm (red). So I'll watch closely for post to your question!
LMWDP # 471
If GOD be for us, who can be against us!

RAS

#3: Post by RAS »

Thanks for your initial feedback Richard. I have a (strong) feeling Santa is bringing one of these this year :wink:. If that hunch proves to be true, I'll post some feedback as well.
Bob

SpromoSapiens

#4: Post by SpromoSapiens »

I'd like to know the extent of water temp fluctuation during the brew cycle. WS web copy states the machine stays within 195-205, but 10 degrees seems like quite a swing if it were to happen in a single brew. Particularly for the price, water temp selection and stability would be nice.

Richard (original poster)

#5: Post by Richard (original poster) »

SpromoSapiens wrote:. . . WS web copy states the machine stays within 195-205, but 10 degrees seems like quite a swing . . .
While I can speak to neither WS's website copy nor your wish list for temperature adjustments, I can speak to the one TV specimen on my counter: A thermocouple wire threaded into the brew basket, midpoint in the slurry, renders a consistent, repeatable 201 F temperature reading. And quite naturally, the temperature of a complete brewing cycle is a curve starting cooler, rising to and holding at 201, and tapering off to lower temperatures as drain-down concludes.
-- Richard

SpromoSapiens

#6: Post by SpromoSapiens »

Thank you Richard, for taking that measurement. Gives me much to consider!
It certainly sounds like a quality, and consistent, single-cupper.
If it could somehow alternate between singles & batches, I'd bump it from "wish list" to "must have," but I get that that's not its ballgame; batches are its bigger older brother's forte.
Thanks again! Glad you're enjoying it.