Siphon Brew Board - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Eastsideloco (original poster)

#11: Post by Eastsideloco (original poster) »

I recently acquired a new kono 2 cup - the butane burner doesn't fit between the feet, so I sit the base of the syphon on some creme brulee ramekins.
Exactly. The width of the kono base must be a little narrower that the hario or yama units, which seem to accept a butane burner just fine. But if the burner tapers in toward the top, then you can recess it and get your clearance that way-and the distance between the burner and the carafe is fine.

If you PM me your contact info, I'll let you know what my plans are for the kono board, in terms of wood choice and board dimensions. I hope to get a plan together in the next week or so. Realistically, it's more efficient to build two boards at the same time than to build two boards at two different times.

#12: Post by Eastsideloco (original poster) »

Here's a sneak preview of the Kono brew board:

This board includes a funnel holder detail, plus a turned wooden handle for the siphon stand. The "handles" for the board itself are recessed into the ends. We used the same Texas walnut slab for the wood.

We're about to leave for Chicago for a long week. I'll take some more pics after we get home.

skittles_s

#13: Post by skittles_s »

Are you going to sell these online: Etsy, somewhere similar?

#14: Post by Eastsideloco (original poster) »

Aldo's ready to build more boards. He just doesn't want to handle the communications or billing. I'm happy to manage those details. That's about as far as we've talked it through.

I'll take Aldo to lunch the first week in November and talk about pricing. The Cona board is actually the simplest and least expensive to build. A Kono-style board with a funnel holder is more complicated and costly. We could probably offer a standard design with optional features. For example, I went ahead and had Aldo router out a "footprint" for the Kono stand, but that's not really necessary feature in terms of functionality; so maybe we offer that as option.

I've never studied the seller terms on Etsy, but will also look into that.

Ecliptica888

#15: Post by Ecliptica888 »

Definitely looking forward to hearing more about the Cona brew board! Any chance they would be available before Christmas?

#16: Post by Eastsideloco (original poster) »

Here are some pics of the Kono brew board in action:

The full set of photo is here: http://bit.ly/1bGmjP6

#17: Post by Eastsideloco (original poster) »

Ecliptica888 wrote:Definitely looking forward to hearing more about the Cona brew board! Any chance they would be available before Christmas?
Yes, I'll have three Cona brew boards-one each in walnut, pecan and mesquite-up on Etsy by mid-November. I'll let you know when the site goes live.

#18: Post by Eastsideloco (original poster) »

Walnut brew board for Cona vacuum coffee maker:

Pecan brew board for Cona vacuum coffee maker:

Mesquite brew board for Cona vacuum coffee maker:

More pics of all three brewers here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21519888@N ... 884183533/

TomC
Team HB

#19: Post by TomC »

These are friggin awesome, especially the pecan, with all that woodgrain character! Would you guys be able to make a pecan with a handle like your previous versions, but for a Kono?
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

#20: Post by Eastsideloco (original poster) »

Yeah, the Pecan board is special. (The wood is harvested at a ranch owned by a Hall of Fame MLB pitcher.) That's my wife's favorite board as well. It's super funky-in a good way.

We can probably build a Kono brew board out of pecan. (I'll ask Aldo how the pecan turns.) However, we may not be able to do it at an acceptable price. The cost of the board rivals the cost of the brewer.

Back of the napkin, the Kono brew board is roughly 2x the cost of a Cona brew board. There's extra router work for the Kono board (though this step can be optional). There are obviously a couple extra parts to turn (handle and funnel rest). Also the chromed tube for the funnel costs the better part of $10 over at the Home Despot. (I may have a chromed tube that will work that I found at the RE Store). It all adds up.

While there's not a quick & easy way to build a Kono brew board-at least not that we could come up with-we do have a template for the board. Depending on what size brewer you have, it might be a direct match for our template. If not, we can modify things accordingly. PM me if you want us to build one.