Silicone gasket for Aeropress?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
nixda

#1: Post by nixda »

I am wondering if anyone has made, or somehow purchased, a silicone gasket for the Aeropress?

I'd like to press with high pressure, but when the pressure gets too high, the grinds shoot out of the side of the cap. Presumably, the grinds squeeze through gaps between the end of the plastic plunger and my filter. I have an S filter, which has a wide metal stabilizing ring on the outside. I was contemplating how the seal with the plunger could be improved and thought of a very thin silicone gasket. Alternatively, one could try to put a small amount of food-grade silicone sealant on the rim of the plunger, but making a uniformly thin gasket like that isn't all too easy.

Anyone tried any of that?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

FYI, grinds out the sides is the result of a design feature. http://aerobie.com/images/CoffeeThroughFilterCap.pdf
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Jofari

#3: Post by Jofari »

Something like this? silicon seal ring for aeropress

nixda (original poster)

#4: Post by nixda (original poster) replying to Jofari »

Exactly!

Just don't seem to be able to find out how to order it...

Edit: I inquired with the company, so we'll see.

nixda (original poster)

#5: Post by nixda (original poster) »

baldheadracing wrote:FYI, grinds out the sides is the result of a design feature. http://aerobie.com/images/CoffeeThroughFilterCap.pdf
Nice schematic!

I can see the holes on the side to be desirable when using paper filters that wick liquid underneath the plunger rim to the outside. But when using a metal filter, I don't see a reason why a full seal wouldn't be possible.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#6: Post by baldheadracing »

You might be able to find something at McMaster-Carr - or cut your own from a sheet?
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary »

Or use the Aeropress as intended? It's not designed for a high pressure plunge. Alan Adler plunges quite gently, using no more than the weight of his arms with one hand positioned over the other.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

sweaner

#8: Post by sweaner replying to drgary »

Gary, use the devices as intended? Since when do we do that?! :wink:
Scott
LMWDP #248

drgary
Team HB

#9: Post by drgary »

The Caravel is a great device for high pressure Aeropress pulls!
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

nixda (original poster)

#10: Post by nixda (original poster) »

drgary wrote:Or use the Aeropress as intended? It's not designed for a high pressure plunge. Alan Adler plunges quite gently, using no more than the weight of his arms with one hand positioned over the other.
The intended method doesn't work for the fine grind I am using. I have built lever contraptions that create a lot of pressure with rather little effort - much more effective than a Spressa Mezzo, for example, and even more effective than what these guys did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIfZ84qtBOc

The limit is set by the grinds shooting out the side. I'd like to overcome this limit.

And the Caravel is a bit more money and effort than I'd like to invest at this point.