Routine Brewer (do you always brew the same way?)

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
CathyWeeks

#1: Post by CathyWeeks »

So, from reading here, it seems to me that many brewers experiment with their brew methods to get the best cup tuned to a specific batch of beans. But I'm generally not like that. I tend to play with brew methods until I get a good cup, then I make my coffee the same way each time, only varying a bit (like if 5 tbsps of beans is too weak/strong for 26 ounces of water).

My routine looks like this:

1. Measure 26 ounces of COLD tap water (I let it run until it cools off as much as it will), and transfer to the ceramic teapot, lid it, put it in the microwave.
2. Fill brewer and mugs with hot tap water to pre-heat
3. Set the microwave to 6:30 and press start.
4. Put 5 tbsp of beans into a grinder, and grind away.
5. Just before the microwave beeps, empty the brewer, and transfer beans to filter basket in top of brewer.
6. Grab the dishtowel, and drop it over the teapot when the microwave beeps.
7. Wet the beans with about 2-3 ounce of water to bloom, and let it drain into the lower chamber of the brewer (this allows me to make more than 24 ounces of coffee, which is all the upper chamber holds)
8. Close the upper chamber, and pour the rest of the water in, and brew.
9. At the end of the brewing time, re-open the upper chamber and let it drain into the lower. Serve the coffee.

Which are you? Experimenter, or Routine, or a little of both?

hankua
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by hankua »

Routine; 15/1 ratio @200*f using a scale & thermometer. (Drilled out the top of my kettle)

gimpy

#3: Post by gimpy »

I brew a single cup at a time, either with an AP, CCD, or French Press. But I pretty much use the same routine. I weigh the beans and the water (I use water filtered thru the Brita). The water is put into the microwave until it boils, approx. 200 degrees (I'm at 7000 feet altitude). I use a weight ratio of about 16 to 1.

I grind the beans (new Feldgrind) while the water is heating up in the microwave. I also pre heat the containers that the water/coffee will be poured into for brewing or drinking.

The CCD and French Press are steeped about four minutes while the AP, a minute and a half or so.

The Feldgrind is new, so still experimenting somewhat with the different grinds.

RyanJE

#4: Post by RyanJE »

Cathy, do you not use a scale for your beans and brew process?
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

CathyWeeks (original poster)

#5: Post by CathyWeeks (original poster) »

Not usually.

I have a scale (it even goes to tenths of a gram). But no, I don't use it every day.

redbone

#6: Post by redbone »

Working week Mon-Fri. I either use Bonavita drip brewer or VAM for 1 espresso (me) and 1 Americano for wife. Follow routine with these.

On weekends I "play" and experiment with everything depending on mood from espresso machines, Moka Pot, Chemex , Clever coffee brewer and French press. I do vary some variable but keep within the principles. (Good water, fresh grind and temperature range)
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

RyanJE

#7: Post by RyanJE »

CathyWeeks wrote:Not usually.

I have a scale (it even goes to tenths of a gram). But no, I don't use it every day.
I think if you consistently use it for weighing your dose and brewing on top of (to get the right amount of brew water) it would tremendously add to consistency. That was not your question though, I know.

My routine brewer (espresso aside) is a pour over. Vary between a Kalita and Bonmac right now. They are just very easy to clean up and make a good brew.

All of which is done with a scale.. :)
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

[creative nickname]

#8: Post by [creative nickname] »

Every weekday morning I do two brews, one in the Bonavita batch brewer for my wife to take to work, and one v60 pourover to accompany my breakfast. Every so often I vary the method for my own morning coffee, but I always seem to come back to the v60 after a while. For tuning to a particular coffee & roast, I might vary grind size or (for the v60) water temperature. I hold just about every other variable constant from day to day.

Like other posters, I'm more likely to play with alternative brew methods in the afternoons or on weekends, although I predominantly make espressos (for me) or Americanos (for the wife) during these times. Espro presses, Chemexes, Aeropresses, siphons, and cupping bowls all make occasional appearances in the "off hour" lineup.
LMWDP #435

ira
Team HB

#9: Post by ira »

Weighing allows consistency, consistency allows experimentation with meaningful results. Pick a temperature and volume of water and then you can vary the weight of coffee to discover if it matters to you. Unless you approach it like that, you'll never know the answer to the question. I would guess that if that's to much effort, that finding the reasonably skinniest container that holds 5 teaspoons level to the top would also increase the consistency and hopefully quality of your daily coffee.

Ira