Rediscovering my Swissgold pourover

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
DigMe

#1: Post by DigMe »

I've had this Swissgold pourover for years but I've only come back to using it regularly in the past few months. I've mostly used a simple melitta cone system for years. I've just been getting such amazing cups with the Swissgold and I don't know why I wasn't using it that much before - maybe I never really had the grind right or something. It def. has its quirks in brewing one being that you have to kind of constantly pull up on the upper part (water reservoir) to break the vacuum that builds down in the brewing part (otherwise the water will sit there too long and overextract).

Anyway, I was thinking about why the cups have been so good out of it and it occurred to me that the brew method is inherently similar to the method that won last year's brewers cup
It is a mostly flat-bottomed brewer as I understand the Kalita Wave to be, in the brewer's cup two restricted flow kettles were used to keep a constant but gentle flow of water on the grounds - the Swissgold has this built in with it's reservoir/dispersing system.

Anyway, just some thoughts I've been having and had again yesterday as I sipped a Swissgold-brewed kochere from Counter Culture that was total flavor fireworks in my mouth. All the flavors so clean and clear.

brad

therabidweasel

#2: Post by therabidweasel »

Brad,

are you talking about the black plastic double cylinder thing where the reservoir is like a plastic shower head? I've had one of those for years that my wife picked up for $3 on clearance.

Like you i am a total fan when in need of a single cup. Even if it is a little fiddly, compared to the same dose etc in my planetary designs single cup FP there is no comparison. I'm going to go run some George Howell through mine right now!

For whatever reason, pour over, and the Swiss gold in particular, seems to me to make a great cup in small quantities. Siphon can as well but they're so much more temperamental and a pain to clean. I'd love to hear an explanation as to why it's superior to small batches of FP.

THANKS FOR THE REMINDER!

DigMe (original poster)

#3: Post by DigMe (original poster) »

Yes, that's the one. It has a the basket where grounds go, the inner part that fits into it where you pour the water and then a little lid that goes on that to keep the water hot while brewing.

I guess FP just stays in contact with the grounds for too long but I definitely don't get the clarity of flavors (especially berries and florals) that I get with my Swissgold, drip machinen or any other pourover method.

My siphon doesn't even compete with pourover either but I have the Bodum siphon which is said to not be as good as some.

Yes, small quantities are key with Swissgold. It's made to do something like 6 or 8oz and I don't usually go much over 8oz with it. Larger quantities just don't do as well.

brad