Pourover with a spoon - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
aecletec

#11: Post by aecletec »

Perhaps the agitation from the pour is only local, leading to uneven extraction while a stir might try to develop even agitation.
I suspect a problem of draw down arises when the water is not blocked by the coffee, however.

Kabouter

#12: Post by Kabouter »

Well I tried this a couple times now with the Kalita (no stirring or prodding, just breaking the fall using bent spoon). It didn't improve the taste as far as I could tell, but it was a lot of faffing about. Was worth a shot though, I like the idea.

beer&mathematics (original poster)

#13: Post by beer&mathematics (original poster) replying to Kabouter »

Same here, I'm not using the spoon technique anymore. I am now experimenting with center pours.
LMWDP #431

TomC
Team HB

#14: Post by TomC »

The improvement for me was because I was using the Driver. The Driver does give me great, dynamic cups, but the clarity went thru the roof when I stopped the agitation and let the fines bed down. If I was using a brewer that had a paper filter, I wouldn't worry as much, they can't get thru anyway.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

yakster
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by yakster »

A bent spoon like the one shown in this Black and Tan video might help. When I use the Kone, I focus on a center pour without a spoon.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

dcupstateNY

#16: Post by dcupstateNY »

How about using a chop stick, instead ...
Ciao,
Dave

LMWDP: #346

#17: Post by beer&mathematics (original poster) »

yakster wrote:A bent spoon like the one shown in this Black and Tan video might help. When I use the Kone, I focus on a center pour without a spoon.
Just noticed this! Wicked spoon! Do they sell those or are the diy?
LMWDP #431

#18: Post by beer&mathematics (original poster) »

dcupstateNY wrote:How about using a chop stick, instead ...
Hey that's pretty good!
LMWDP #431

[creative nickname]

#19: Post by [creative nickname] »

After some experimenting, I've given up on this method, with one important exception. When I am using my travel setup, which involves the little Bonavita 0.5L travel kettle and a Kalita Wave 155, I find that a spoon helps mimic the light pours I can do with a swan-necked, flow-restricted kettle at home. Without the spoon, I get more agitation, and less clarity.
LMWDP #435

#20: Post by beer&mathematics (original poster) replying to [creative nickname] »

I've noticed the Kalita wave doesn't need any fancy techniques but the v60 I have at work does benefit from gentler pours. Took me a while to realize this as Tom originally said he uses it for his metal driver cone filter.
LMWDP #431