Pour out first drips of coffee brew? - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
yakster
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by yakster »

Jaxx2112 wrote:The bleached filters don't *really* need much of a rinse at all.
YMMV, I quit rinsing for a week and noted the astringent, papery notes, but not as dire as the filter cupping notes from the first edition of Longberry:
Longberry wrote:Kalita Bleached 2 Cup Paper: If you could combine the lingering taste of a public pool with that air conditioner flavor then all you'd be missing is a dry, slightly astringent and rice-like finish.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

LaDan

#12: Post by LaDan »

Jaxx2112 wrote:I believe the idea is that you would lift the wave/v60/etc and switch to a new cup. Although you may need an extra hand to avoid spillage....
That's a better method. lol. I don't know why but I was thinking of Chemex. Got my youtube videos mixed I guess.

Bob_McBob

#13: Post by Bob_McBob »

yakster wrote:YMMV, I quit rinsing for a week and noted the astringent, papery notes, but not as dire as the filter cupping notes from the first edition of Longberry
What were the general conclusions of the article with respect to filter taste, rinsing, and ranking of different filters?
Chris

yakster
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by yakster »

They weren't really ranked, and the cupping descriptions read a bit tongue in cheek to me, but I'll paraphrase a couple of the descriptions of the filters that fared better than the others. This article was included in the print version only, and the full text is much more entertaining and descriptive than what I've excerpted below.

Hario Bleached 2 cup V60 Paper: sweet, chewed pencil, postage stamp glue

Hario Unbleached Syphon Paper: stale glass of water, masking tape, burnt rice

Kalita Unbleached Wave Paper: sweet, cereal packet, stationary; cardboard

For me, one of the considerations for filter rinsing has been batch size. I've never found the need to rinse the Melitta basket filters for when I make full pots, and I think that the taste fraction imparted by the filter becomes less significant with larger batch sizes.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Jaxx2112

#15: Post by Jaxx2112 »

yakster wrote: Hario Bleached 2 cup V60 Paper: sweet, chewed pencil, postage stamp glue
Yummy. :lol:

dcupstateNY

#16: Post by dcupstateNY »

Bob_McBob wrote:For me, one of the considerations for filter rinsing has been batch size. I've never found the need to rinse the Melitta basket filters for when I make full pots, and I think that the taste fraction imparted by the filter becomes less significant with larger batch sizes.
IFIRC, Tom (Sweet Marias) did some testing way back ... there he stated/recommended using a Hario filter in lieu of the standard Chemex filter because it imparts less of a papery taste i.e., due to the large size of of the Chemex fiter. Takeaway; smaller = better/less papery. I'm going to try both rinsing and not, and see if it makes a difference for me.
Ciao,
Dave

LMWDP: #346