Percolation problems on a cold drip tower

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
ayush12345

#1: Post by ayush12345 »

I just assembled a cold drip tower using a separatory funnel(1000ml) and a buchner funnel (200ml) in a wooden frame. The buchner comfortably holds about 100gms of coffee grounds. So I strated the brewing process using 100gms of coffee grounds medium coarsely ground at the roasters along with half a kg of ice and about 300ml water. also poured about 100ml over the grounds to percolate.
The process took about 2 hours since the drip was a little faster than I wanted. After storing away the carafe with the brewed coffee, I tried cleaning the buchner and the grounds were still dry. Apart from the outer wall and the top layer, all the grounds were dry.
Can anyone suggest a solution to a more even extraction ? Is it ok to wet the grounds before-hand in a separate bowl in smaller quantities and then put them into the buchner?
Please help

AK

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

Putting a circular filter on top of the grounds may help.

I've even hot bloomed my bruer and stirred the grounds before putting the filter over the grounds and cold dripping.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

ayush12345 (original poster)

#3: Post by ayush12345 (original poster) »

@yakster
Thanks for a reply. I have actually tried doing that a couple of times but the in the process changed the other parameters. I used a different coffee which was maybe a little too fine for this process which resulted in the water clogging on top of the coffee bed. I'll be trying this thing again with the coarser grind. I just hope my patience in this surpasses my frustration. Its quite a learning curve.

AK