OXO Cold brew coffee maker

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Prescott CR

#1: Post by Prescott CR »

Has anyone tried this one yet?

http://www.oxo.com/p-1403-cold-brew-coffee-maker.aspx

I saw it on the Bed, Bath and Beyond website when looking for a Toddy brewer. It's $10 more than the Toddy, and appears to have a couple nice features but the yield is less.

For grins I ordered two, one to give away locally via my biz's Facebook page and another to experiment with. In the meantime I thought I would check in here and see if anyone has used one.

I always thought cold brewers were a hard sell as anyone can use jars and filters from their current set-ups to get similar results. Still there are people that prefer a uni-tasker when it's good at what it does.

Rich
-Richard

Shife

#2: Post by Shife »

I bought one for the mother-in-law. She loves it. Very easy to use and clean.

Prescott CR (original poster)

#3: Post by Prescott CR (original poster) »

Thank you for the feedback Shife!

I've used one for 3 brews so far and it seems to work very well as designed. The brew with the filter is actually very clean.
-Richard

Shife

#4: Post by Shife »

I bought her a pack of the paper filters, but she likes the reusable filter better.

#5: Post by Prescott CR (original poster) »

You are a good SiL.

I'd recommend this thing for anyone looking to cold brew. Don't know if I'd recommend it OVER a Toddy brewer... either one works very well.

Thank you again for the input Shife!
-Richard

aaaanndy

#6: Post by aaaanndy »

I've had experience with Toddy in a cafe setting, but never the home products so I don't have much input on this comparison. However, the Cold Bruer (http://www.bruer.co/) has been peaking my interest for a while -- similar to/miniaturized version of a Yama cold brew tower. Nearly double the price of the Toddy ($80), but could be another device to compare.

Does anyone have experience with the OXO and Cold Bruer to compare the performance?
I don't know what to put here.

#7: Post by Prescott CR (original poster) »

Last time I commented on the Bruer someone put me in my place for not actually using one but quoting from the manual that it had a lower yield than the Toddy. So I won't comment again, well... again again.

:)

Here's a comparison of 5 methods, sadly the Bruer isn't one of them. I'm sure there are more out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu0I8c7i5sg

FWIW My GF feels the Oxo was better than making it in jars but that might be that I'm better at roasting now vs when we last did the jar thing. Also getting the grind setting exactly right is annoying (as it really is with any brew method) and oft overlooked.

When I do a cold brew I dilute the concentrate to get the same volume I would had I done a hot brew. So that's 16-20oz of liquid for every 1oz of ground coffee in.

Edit- I see the Bruer for around $65, that's not outrageous for what it is.
-Richard