Origin - The Ultimate Coffee Brew Stand (Kickstarter)

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
RAS

#1: Post by RAS »

Stumbled upon this while browsing Kickstarter. Watch the video. While the issue of instability is a bit of a stretch, or at least exaggerated, the stand does, overall look like a good design that is versatile for both pourover and Aeropress. Also, what I like is that it's an elegant design that won't look out of place in most kitchens - at least that's what I hope my wife will think :wink: .

They're close to reaching their goal, so it does look like it will happen. Only bummer is that for those of us in the States, shipping will cost a bit...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ne ... brew-stand
Bob

SonVolt

#2: Post by SonVolt »

I would probably buy one even though I find pour-over stands 100% unnecessary and even counter-productive. I does look very similar in shape to the one offered my Monarch Methods.

Where are you seeing US shipping rates?

RAS (original poster)

#3: Post by RAS (original poster) »

Shipping to the US is 12 Pounds, or roughly $18.

I do agree that a stand really isn't essential, though when I'm not wanting to measure or weigh water, it does provide convenient visibility of volume brewed. I'll still measure coffee, and because I use the same cup to brew into, I can eyeball my typical brew-amount (250mL) fairly accurately. That and the flow-restrictor I have in my Fino kettle (giving me excellent flow-rate control), and the whole brewing process will be a snap.
Bob

SonVolt

#4: Post by SonVolt replying to RAS »

I'm not very familiar with kickstarter. Are the donation prices that include the product cheaper than the actual price when released?

baldheadracing
Team HB

#5: Post by baldheadracing »

Interesting stand ... strong enough for Aeropress is a bonus. Thanks for posting - I'll be watching - if they hit their stretch goal and offer a copper finish then I might be tempted to back it - I just don't want yet another silver-ish coffee thing. I also prefer to have room for a scale on the stand so I can measure beverage weight (the only 'real' advantage to having a brew stand I think).

The Origin stand is quite a bit less than Monarch Method's similarly-shaped stand, but quite a bit more expensive than making your own stand out of copper pipe (very easy to make) or wood (as hard as you want to make it). There are also plenty of stands on Etsy at all price levels and qualities.

However, I already have my 'ultimate coffee brew stand' - the original Monarch Methods double stand in copper and walnut :D.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

dominico
Team HB

#6: Post by dominico »

https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

RAS (original poster)

#7: Post by RAS (original poster) »

With Kickstarter, you help fund a new product and get that new product at a discounted price for doing so. A project has a funding goal, and if that goal is not achieved, the project is not funded, and does not happen. Some decent ideas come along, as do ideas that just never go anywhere.

I've not been all that involved with Kickstarter projects, but one other that I did "join" was the new Ratio thermal carafe. It's designed to with the Ratio Brewer, but also usable as a standalone carafe. For larger batches, I'll use a number of pour-over funnels such as the Hario V60 that I'll be able to set straight onto this carafe. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ra ... mal-carafe
Bob

ira
Team HB

#8: Post by ira »

And as with all things Kickstarter, there is risk. If the person who posted it just takes the money and runs or fails, there is nothing you can do.

Ira

jpender

#9: Post by jpender »

The Aeropress is designed to sit on a cup. Pourover cones are too.
What am I missing here?

What next? Are they going to make an artistic stand to put between your butt cheeks and the toilet seat?

happycat

#10: Post by happycat »

A glass carafe on a digital scale is cheaper, lighter, more transparent, and more useful?
LMWDP #603