Optimum Brewing Temperature

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
keylin1994

#1: Post by keylin1994 »

I am the new owner of a french press and I have noticed that the coffee can be a bit bitter. In searching the corners of my mind I recall that the optimum brewing temperature for coffee is 180 degrees.

How do I know this...

I used to manufacture coffee extract for Starbucks bottled frappucino about 17 years ago. The system we used to produce the extract was about a 500 gallon kettle that sprayed water heated to 180F over a bed of Italian roast. The temperature was controlled within 2 degrees. Also I recall tea was 160F if anyone wants to know.

Anyway, I'm going to start controlling the temperature of the water before I put it in the press and I though it would be valuable to share this information.

kcs3c

#2: Post by kcs3c »

Not sure what temperature you were using before or if you are already aware of it, but I believe SCAA and NCA (as well as many others involved with specialty coffee) recommend using between 195 - 205 degrees (F) (although I've heard that SCAA may have increased their recommended lower limit to 196 degrees) for optimal extraction.

Advertisement
gimpy

#3: Post by gimpy »

I think the creator of the aero press recommends 175 to 180* F or so. For the best flavor, according to non scientific taste testing.

brianl

#4: Post by brianl »

You're both right.

Actually, it depends on the grind size. IF you do a finer French press, then a lower temperature should exact fine. The finer grind of the aeropress is why it's generally just a low temperature (and it seems like most people do the inverted French press method).

kcs3c

#5: Post by kcs3c »

Interesting. I guess you learn something new every day!

keylin1994 (original poster)

#6: Post by keylin1994 (original poster) »

kcs3c wrote:Not sure what temperature you were using before or if you are already aware of it, but I believe SCAA and NCA (as well as many others involved with specialty coffee) recommend using between 195 - 205 degrees (F) (although I've heard that SCAA may have increased their recommended lower limit to 196 degrees) for optimal extraction.
I can see using 196 as a minimum for maximum yield, but I think that temperature will not give the most flavorful brew. I Can tell you we did multiple DOE's in R&D to arrive at the 180F brewing temperature. Starbucks pushing for optimal flavor, and Pepsi pushing for maximum solids extraction. 180 was the sweet spot.

RyanJE

#7: Post by RyanJE replying to keylin1994 »

Thats probably because starbucks burns the crap out of their beans. The only way to not make that coffee bitter would be to use a low temp.

You might want to do some research around here as temp is only 1 small part of the puzzle. Also see roast level, grind size, time, agitation, etc.....
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

Advertisement
Ulysses Yang

#8: Post by Ulysses Yang »

Talking about the temperature for brewing coffee is kind of complicated. But let me give you some points. First of all, there is not "one" perfect temperature for use. It depends on many variations such as the level of roasting (light or dark), the freshness of beans, the tastes and flavor you want to bring out from beans...Let's say in a easier way:

1. lighter roasting beans have higher density, more difficult to extract, higher temperature for use.
Darker roasting, lower density, easier to extract, lower temperature for use.

2. lighter roasting, lesser high-polymer(bitterness, bad flavors), not easy being over extraction, higher temperature.
Dark roasting, more high-polymer, easy being over extraction, lower temperature.

3. Fresh beans, more nicer flavors inside, higher temperature.
Stale beans, nice flavors almost gone, lower temperature.

4. Coarser powder, difficult to extract, higher temperature.
Finer powder, easy to extract, lower temperature.

When you are a barista, you should get more knowledge to choose the temperature. But in this case, those 4 points are enough to answer you.

And then we know why Starbucks use 180 for brewing. Because their beans are not so high quality, dark roasting and stale. Because their beans are easier to get over extraction, they have to use 180 which is very low temperature. I would say 180 might be the best for their beans, but absolutely not the best for all beans and all brewing cases. By the way, Starbucks' coffee is also not the best. It is even not good coffee today.

Also, the perfect temperature for tea you thought is also not a right theory. It also depends. Green tea is easy to extract bitterness and astringent, usually you use 176-190. Some oolong tea and aged tea, are not easy to get over extraction, so you want to use the temperature as high as you can. Sometimes, you feel astringent, so you use lower temp. Sometimes you want more flavors, you use higher. Sometimes you want more sweetness taste, you use lower.

I hope it will help you. Ask me if you have more questions.

vit

#9: Post by vit »

Are we talking about temperature in the kettle, or some average temperature in the FP, because, depending on the quantity of water, size of FP and quantity of the coffee, these are not exactly the same things ...