NotNeutral's Gino glass dripper

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
CrabRangoon

#1: Post by CrabRangoon »

I've only seen the Gino mentioned a few times in passing on HB, so I'm curious if it's lack of discussion is it's relative newness or perhaps that it uses the same filters (and technique?) as Kalita?

I am quite fond of glassy eye candy and ordered a dripper & decanter set (currently backordered). I'd previously used a Chemex + Kone brewing combo for years but am eager to get back to pour over with this.
LMWDP #505

brianl

#2: Post by brianl »

I don't think many differentiate it from the Kalita Wave. I have this dripper but I don't use it as much because it's quite large. What would you like to know? Sadly, I don't have a Kalita to compare to.

TomC
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC »

There's a few reasons I love it and at home, it's become my only (manual) way of making brewed coffee.

I like it's thin walled glass construction for helping prevent temperature loss. I usually fill my PID kettle near the top and even by the time I'm done brewing, the drop rarely exceeds 4 degrees (obviously a function of the kettle, not the brewer). But I like that it doesn't actively wick away heat as quickly as my metal or ceramic Wave's.

I personally appreciate it's nice wide open design. I feel like I get a very nice surface area "bloom" of aroma as I brew. When I do my initial bloom, then crush that crust with the next pour, I get a much larger burst of aromatics on this brewer than I do on either my 155 or 185. It gives me a nice preview of what the cup might be like.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

brianl

#4: Post by brianl »

TomC wrote:There's a few reasons I love it and at home, it's become my only (manual) way of making brewed coffee.
Do you mind sharing a recipe that you use? I'm finding that I need a finer grind than usual (at least compared to the kalita recipes I see).
TomC wrote: I personally appreciate it's nice wide open design. I feel like I get a very nice surface area "bloom" of aroma as I brew. When I do my initial bloom, then crush that crust with the next pour, I get a much larger burst of aromatics on this brewer than I do on either my 155 or 185. It gives me a nice preview of what the cup might be like.
Your description has me excited to brew with it tomorrow :lol:

coffeemmichael

#5: Post by coffeemmichael »

I am quite fond of glassy eye candy and ordered a dripper & decanter set (currently backordered). I'd previously used a Chemex + Kone brewing combo for years but am eager to get back to pour over with this.[/quote]

Randy, I use a chemex + kone combo with my auto-drip. I have a harder time making larger batches in this manner with lighter roasts, as grinding finer is making my kone fill up faster than it can drain. Think the three-hole pattern on the gino will drain quicker than the kone?

CrabRangoon (original poster)

#6: Post by CrabRangoon (original poster) »

brianl wrote:Do you mind sharing a recipe that you use? I'm finding that I need a finer grind than usual (at least compared to the kalita recipes I see).
With that in mind, I was hoping to hear how brewing with it may differ from the Kalita. I'd love to hear some recipes for it, since I still have to wait for it to arrive.
coffeemmichael wrote:Randy, I use a chemex + kone combo with my auto-drip. I have a harder time making larger batches in this manner with lighter roasts, as grinding finer is making my kone fill up faster than it can drain. Think the three-hole pattern on the gino will drain quicker than the kone?
I can't personally say, as I never brewed large batches. It's been a year since I used the Kone but IIRC my brews were never larger than ~750ml.
LMWDP #505

Riceman42

#7: Post by Riceman42 »

My knock on the Gino is that it's fragile. I used to own the elegant Gino, but it shattered when I slightly nicked it on the sink when I was rinsing it out.

Granted, the Stainless Steel Wave is slightly more expensive than the Gino, but it's worth the investment given that it will last a lifetime. I never noticed a difference of taste in the cup between the two. I apologize if you have heard this rant before, I just want prospective buyers to be aware of the risk; I did not like flushing $24+shipping down the drain.