Nitro Cold Brew kit from Northern Brewer

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC »

I've ordered a lot of my beer making gear over the years from Northern Brewer. They now offer a fully equipped nitro keg and tap kit for $250. It looks like a serious piece of kit and I'm tempted to order one. I'd probably hold off until I install a mini kegorator first though,for convenience sake alone although this small keg should fit in pretty much any normal fridge.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/jack ... rew-system
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

markmark1

#2: Post by markmark1 »

Looks cool!

But seems to be out of stock. :(

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#3: Post by TomC (original poster) replying to markmark1 »

They actually have 3 full kits in stock and ready to go. They just don't have the page updated. They are, however, backordered on the regulators that are part of the kit for anything beyond those 3 complete sets. So apparently when they get the extra regulators in stock, they'll be able to build as many kits as people need. They'll have those in about a week.

ira
Team HB

#4: Post by ira »

Looks like the $249 for the kit is the least expensive part. if it really uses 18 gram cartridges and it takes 1 per batch, it looks like it's over $10 per cartridge. I hope I'm wrong because that seems like a lot of ongoing cost unless it's really really good.

Ira

FirstBetta

#5: Post by FirstBetta »

Showing my ignorance - What is nitro? I know what nitroglycerin is but I'm sure that isn't the nitro in this thread.

JavaBuzz

#6: Post by JavaBuzz »

Nitro = nitrogen

markmark1

#7: Post by markmark1 »

FirstBetta wrote:Showing my ignorance - What is nitro? I know what nitroglycerin is but I'm sure that isn't the nitro in this thread.
Google is your friend, but it's ice coffee from a keg. The nitrogen makes it look like Guinness with a differnt coffee taste and a great mouth-feel.

frank828

#8: Post by frank828 »

that's kinda cool, but for that price, you can put together your own kit with a 2.5-3 gallon keg, a 5# nitro tank, regulator and Guinness style tap(plus connectors, orings, tubing, clamps). Can probably throw it all into a big enough ice box and have a nice portable setup with a mounted tap and everything.

just to let you know though, just hooking up nitrogen to a keg of coffee wont give you the Guinness effect. The setup with 100% nitrogen is quite a process to be able to get the cascading foam. Using beer/guinness gas + manual shaking to force more infusion, may be a better solution for most.

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#9: Post by TomC (original poster) »

True, you're paying a premium versus a home built kit. But you're also getting shiny polished stainless, a small convenient package and a nice stout tap. Most home-brewers like to score deals second hand just like us coffee nerds, but brand new, parts like high quality perlick taps add up quickly.

I originally bought my chest freezer with the intention of making it a dual purpose PID'd fermentation chamber/ kegorator, but opted instead to go with vac-sealed green coffee storage. If I can't squeeze another mini-kegorator in my apartment, something like this offers space-saving convenience.

I think the lactose provides the heft of mouthfeel and carbonation. I would do my best to optimize the coffee without any sugar adjuncts first and then go from there. Making seltzer waters are fun, but again, avoiding sugar sorta limits the amount of carbonation one can achieve, even at almost frozen temps.

markmark1

#10: Post by markmark1 »

So sugars increase gas solubility?