Newbie needs help with moka pot inconsistencies

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Go Cubs go

#1: Post by Go Cubs go »

Hello my name is Henry, I am brand new here. I have switched from drip coffee or coffee from coffee chains to making my own coffee via a moka pot for about 2 months now. I really enjoy it. I have a moka pot and a Cuisinart burr grinder, I try to get beans as freshly roasted as possible and locally sourced here in Chicago. However, I feel as if I'm a inconsistent with the quality of the coffee I make. Sometimes I feel the flavor isn't strong enough, my grind size stays the same, I grind slightly coarser than espresso or the fine setting on my grinder. I put a tiny amount of sugar(which I will probably stop doing) and I froth some milk via a milk frother. Any advice for better coffee would be very much appreciated.

Just to clarify: by not strong enough I mean sometimes I get more of the flavor of the been and the notes the roaster intended me to taste and other times it just tastes like plain old coffee.

fdehlvi

#2: Post by fdehlvi »

Hi Henry,

Welcome to the forums,

I brew with a 3 cup Bialetti Moka pot almost daily, and use a Macap M4 grinder. I find that the extraction is quite sensitive to the grind size and the dose so I would suggest experimenting with those variables and seeing where that takes you. This is my method:

I use hot water, just off the boil, and fill the bottom chamber to just under the relief valve. For me, this is about 70g of water. As with other brew methods, make sure you use good quality water. I grind slightly finer than espresso, adjusting based on the beans and their age, and dose about 16.5g into the basket, distribute the grounds evenly and then use a light tamp to even out the grounds, then I screw the top on and put it on the stove at the high heat setting (I have an electric coil stove). I pull it from the heat and pour immediately just before it starts sputtering, or when the flow turns a pale brown colour.

My brew time, from the time it goes on the stove until the brew is finished, is less than 1min, I've found that a high heat shortens the brew time, and this gives me a sweet, balanced cup.

Hope this helps, good luck!