New Orleans cold brew from Blue Bottle

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
deejayc

#1: Post by deejayc »

Has anyone here tried the New Orleans cold brew that's served at Blue Bottle locations? I'm hooked on this stuff - it's just the most chocolatey smooth coffee I've ever had. Here's my question:

How do I get those chocolate notes in the coffee to really stand out? I've tried so many times to duplicate this cold brew at home but have failed every time. I use the fresh beans that they sell at their locations which they recommended me to use at home to make the cold brew along with a 1:11 coffee to water ratio. 16 hour brew time with a pretty coarse grind (I use a Lido 2). The taste of the finished product is just not as chocolatey as the one they make in their store. By the way, they add roasted chicory to the grounds which I also do at home but the end result is just not the same!

Nate42

#2: Post by Nate42 »

I have not had the New Orleans cold brew actually prepared by Blue Bottle, but I have brewed it according to their instructions. They actually sell a kit for it. https://bluebottlecoffee.com/store/new-orleans-iced-kit

Their recipe is 1lb(454g) coffee, 43g chicory, 2.5qt (roughly 2366g) water. So at 1:11 you are brewing way too weak.

The Blue Bottle kit is a little pricey for what amounts to French Roast and chicory. I have had reasonable success replicating this with Sweet Maria's French Roast and some Chicory I ordered from a place called Orlean's coffee. But the Blue Bottle chicory is more flavorful I think, not sure what their source is.

https://bluebottlecoffee.com/preparatio ... leans-iced

deejayc (original poster)

#3: Post by deejayc (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply. One of the workers at Blue Bottle told me they prepare it at the store with a 1:11 ratio at 16 hours. And recently I've been getting sorta close to how theirs tastes. Just need to tweak the grind more.