Mypressi TWIST Showerhead Failure

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
pjackman

#1: Post by pjackman »

I have been using a mypressi TWIST every day for maybe a year and a half now; it's how I make coffee. I started experiencing a pressure leak a few days ago and thought that it might time to renew my seals so I changed them all one by one. When the last one didn't fix the problem I became more curious and discovered that the showerhead had cracked underneath the o-ring. It hasn't fully separated so I'm hoping some Crazy Glue will hold it together until the manufacturer gets these back in stock, unless of course someone has a better idea :idea:.

Has anyone "been there; done that"?

vberch

#2: Post by vberch »

Patrick, unfortunately this is a known problem. Here is a recent thread covering this issue: A bit of a Mypressi Twist V2 malfunction I went through around 12 screens in 3 years using MyPressi for two shots a day at work.

As far as Crazy Glue, I don't think you want to be drinking Crazy Glue extract.

pjackman (original poster)

#3: Post by pjackman (original poster) »

Thanks Vlad. That post didn't come up in my search because I didn't think to try the Espresso Machines forum. I'm considering a Crazy Glue fix because the showerhead is out of stock and I don't know how optimistic mypressi's June 2014 resupply date is. Either I risk the extract or use an Aeropress; it's a tough choice for a cappuccino lover :cry: .

#4: Post by pjackman (original poster) »

Has anyone tried a Crazy Glue repair? Will it bond the showerhead material :? ?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster »

JB Weld might be more food safe than crazy glue, but I'm not sure how well it would work.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

AZRich

#6: Post by AZRich »

Hi Patrick - The pressurized showerhead assembly is actually the same so if you still have that one unused it can be used to replace the cracked original. I had the same thing happen here awhile back.

regards, Rich

#7: Post by pjackman (original poster) »

Thanks Chris. I've not heard of JB Weld here in Vancouver. I'll have a look. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks Rich and good to know. I don't have that accessory unfortunately.

BuckleyT

#8: Post by BuckleyT »

Dear Patrick,
The photo shows cyanoacrylate glue applied to the effluent side of the crack which is not a strong occlusive position since water is forced out at that point.
Leaving aside the question as to whether or not one would want cyanoacrylate in the brew path (it can probably be teased off, for the most part), I found that laying plastic food wrap on the bottom of the shower head ring, tucking the plastic wrap ends underneath the circumferential o-ring on the side of the showerhead ring, trimming the excess, cutting a large center hole so that one has essentially a plastic film ring wedged between the metal shower screen edge footing and the recess of the plastic shower ring, one can at least slow down the leak until help arrives. This places the film on the high-pressure side of the crack where it may be forced against the fault. The failure of the plastic ring will only get larger with continued use. That is why it cannot be occluded with adhesive. What I have not tried is to seal the film more strongly to the crack with a thin film of Dow 111.
The best advice is to use the pod showerhead ring, as AZrich said.
Ignore the 'out of stock' warning and call for help using the contact function on the Mypresi web site, but also send a duplicate request to Ivy at support@@mypressi.zendesk.com (remove one of the '@'). Get at least one replacement now, but ask Ivy what the policy is for stocking up on 2-3 polymer rings only in the future.
Buckley

#9: Post by pjackman (original poster) »

Thanks Buckley for your clearly explained suggestion. I just tried creating a plastic food wrap seal but I think my showerhead is now beyond this fix. Poking and prying at it for the camera shot has likely elongated the crack. There was quite a bit more water squirting out on this last pull.

I'll send a note to folks through the zendesk address. Hopefully they have a spare part available. Thanks for the link.

canuckcoffeeguy

#10: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

Looks like the showerheads are back in stock. I received a notice that the backups I pre-ordered have been shipped. And the Mypressi site indicates they're available.