Moka pot not working?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
axeder

#1: Post by axeder »

I've never purchased one before, but I've seen them used plenty of times. I'm using an ikea brand RÅDIG 6 cup.

I'm utterly furious. I've tried 3 or 4 times now, and all I get is bloody steam and wasted coffee grounds. I'm positive that you shouldn't have to leave the pot boiling on the stove at max temperature for 10+ minutes to have to make it. The coffee would be ruined from super-heated steam... I've seen the very same model work like a charm, within a minute...

I've filled it up to the designated mark, placed the grounds in the basket and levelled them off -- unpacked, securely tightened the bottom and top halves (perhaps too hard after numerous tries), and turned the heat down when the water began to boil.

Nothing but steam... No water enters the upper chamber whatsoever, but the coffee grounds do manage to end up laden with water if I let it boil and steam long enough

I can't figure this thing out for my life.

All you moka-pot users must all be rocket scientists!

Edit: I've decided that the thing is simply a waste of time, money, gas, and coffee. Haven't been having any luck this week, this was the one thing I was looking forward to. It's not even worth the drive to return, and they only give 45 days. Hopefully I'm in the neighbourhood within that timeframe.

I dare not touch another moka-pot again, I don't know what kind of wizardrous magic makes such a contraption work, but my first impression of them has gone to crap. I would've assumed that the steam and pressure would cause the water to rise through the spout into the upper chamber, but instead there seems to be a lack of pressure. I just want to figure out the thing so bad, I see people brew a cup from the exact same model within minutes, and yet I can't seem to do it even if I had a week and a bloody gun was pointed to my head. Geez.

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

That sounds pretty frustrating. Usually my 6 cup Bialetti takes three or four minutes before coffee starts emerging, and I fill the bottom with hot water. I only turn the heat down when coffee's coming through the inner spout into the upper part of the pitcher. Also you may be grinding too fine. BTW is steam escaping from the safety valve? That shouldn't happen before brewing starts unless you've got it choked with fine grounds.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

bongani

#3: Post by bongani »

Try 'brewing' only water and see. I have a suspicion that you are choking the device. Use a coarse grind and then go finer until you are happy with what ends up in your cup.

Good luck!!