Metal filter for Hario V60 that doesn't cost $60?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
coryforsenate

#1: Post by coryforsenate »

I've been trying to find a metal filter for my Hario V60 but the only one I've been able to find is the Able, which is $60. I personally feel that $60 for metal mesh shaped into a cone is a little ridiculous (it's more than twice what the Hario V60 costs!).

I did find some reusable cotton mesh filters from CoffeeSock designed for the Hario V60, so I was also curious if anybody's tried them. That might be a good alternative for me.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/124933154/ ... 7AodxiIAwg

Bkultra

#2: Post by Bkultra »

The other option is the driver filter ($40).

http://www.amazon.com/Driver-Stainless- ... ver+filter

I would like to mention I own the Able kone and it's well worth the money.

Advertisement
CrabRangoon

#3: Post by CrabRangoon »

I originally couldn't bring myself to agree with the price of Able's Kone, so I tried a couple different stainless mesh cones instead. They were anywhere from $30-40 and were both garbage. I was looking for longevity and ease of use/cleaning - the stainless mesh was neither of those things. The first one I exchanged as I hated it, and the second was an improvement but still not rigid and a breeze to clean. I waited too log in forming my opinion and was unable to return or exchange the second, none of my coffee pals wanted it, so I threw it away.

Enter the Kone. It was exactly what I was looking for. I got it right when they released the 3rd version, which was minority improved over the previous. I hated paper filters and I hated the idea of the cotton bag/sock types. I wanted something that stood on its own and could literally dump out the spent grounds and rinse off - easy. The Driver may very well be an option, but I'm not sure I'd again skimp on the extra $20ish saved over the Kone. It's not mesh. It's a metal cone with a pattern of holes put through the material. It's WAY easier to use (harder to clog!) than the finer holed mesh options I'd tried, so a far easier transition from the paper filters than mesh was.

I've had no problems with mine, and it's been dropped a few times without issue. I imagine they've got a very friendly return and/or warranty offer, but I haven't had to resort to that. Perhaps get the Driver if you can't swing the cost of the Kone, and if you aren't actually wowed by it you can simply return it, as Amazon is quite forgiving with returns. If you do return it, order the Kone and be done with it :)

Edit: if you haven't already done so, read up on and form your opinion further on the Driver here Driver Metal Coffee Filter
LMWDP #505