Melitta Single Cup Brewer

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
EricBNC

#1: Post by EricBNC »

Single cup brewers are incredibly popular right now, but were they in 1977 or 1978? I wasn't drinking coffee at the time so I am not sure. Melitta took a stab at this market back then with the ACM 1T/1 Personal Coffeemaker. This compact 500 watt brewer was made (and inspected according to a sticker) in Hong Kong. The serial number ends in 77/78 so I think this example was manufactured during one of those two years.

These were originally sold with a cup but I am using a substitute non-OEM coffee cup.

The brewer still works even after 35 years:

Dispersion is crude - a single hole:

The grounds bed is small and looks saturated well so a fancier shower head might be engineering overkill:

The steam escapes through the top on this brewer through vents - you can watch the coffee brew in the basket if you are into that sort of thing...

This model has the heated water tube isolated from the cooler tank water - a feature still used today on the popular Technivorm and Bonavita brewers:

I found an image on etsy that shows the back of the original box:

I love how the gal in the bottom middle picture likes to powder her nose and make a quick cup when she has time in her busy schedule. :D
LMWDP #378
Author of "The Bell Curve: Instructions for Proper Herd Mentality"

jbviau
Supporter ★

#2: Post by jbviau »

Ha! Had to have been more than $2 even back then...
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias