Melange Brew?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
drgary
Team HB

#1: Post by drgary »

I expect that what I tried here is nothing new, but here goes. Melange roasts are well known. These may have the same bean roasted to different levels and blended after roasting or a mix of several origins done this way. The other day I wanted to brew some home roasted coffee for a going away party at my office (my going away party because I'm going back into private practice). I had an Ethiopian Wote Konga that brews best at 203F with a 4 minute steep in my BraZen Brewer. I also had a Brazil Fazenda that brews best at 198F with a 3 minute steep. I thought these coffees would complement each other best if I combined 2/3 Ethiopian to 1/3 Brazilian in an airpot and brought it to the office. The Wote Konga has nice complexity, acidity and sweetness but lacks some body, and the sweetness only emerges as it cools. The Brazil lacks complexity at the upper end and is less acidic but has good sweetness and a dominating flavor note of milk chocolate. Blended together these were delicious.

I expect that only a home hobbyist has time for brewing this way. Has anyone else tried melange brewing? Does this method exist under another name?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

I have heard that combining brewed coffee in different proportions is one way to formulate a blend, but I haven't heard of going quite this far with different brew temps and times.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#3: Post by RapidCoffee »

The idea of "melange brewing" makes sense, because different roasts perform best with different brew parameters. The obvious downside is the hassle factor: brewing each roast separately, and then mixing the brewed coffees together. This increases the amount of work proportional to the number of components, whereas blending the beans (either pre- or post-roast) does not. So I doubt this method will gain much traction. But you never know what lengths coffee enthusiasts will go, in search of the perfect cup. :D
John

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Of course I'm not advocating for it. But it was good home cooking for a party.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!