Mazzer Mini for everything but espresso

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Airhan

#1: Post by Airhan »

I have two grinders, a Solis Maestro (with *$ name on it) and a Mazzer mini E. I got the Mazzer used to go with a SBDU espresso machine that I no longer have. I've noticed a increase in the amount of fines coming from my Solis, my v60/chemex both take longer to brew even at the coarsest setting, and my french press brews are very bitter after 4 minutes. I'm not sifting my grounds and measuring how many fines there are, I'm just concluding that my filters are getting clogged and some coffee is being over-extracted.

So my question is, is the Mazzer mini E (type B if your curious) well suited to grind coarse? Most threads I see about espresso grinders is that they shouldn't be switched back and forth between FP and espresso, but that is mostly a ease of use/convenience factor. Obviously I don't need to make huge adjustments every day, so will the Mini make a consistent coarse grind? I'm currently asking because my mini is all cleaned up and sealed in box, and I'd rather not get it out if it won't work for my current needs.
~Grind it like it did you some great injustice!~

Nate42

#2: Post by Nate42 »

I used to use a mini (not E though) for espresso, press, and everything in between. It is at the very least "ok" for all of these tasks. It definitely makes more fines than you would prefer at coarser settings, but its usable. I also used to own a Solis Maestro, and the mini probably does outperform it at pretty much any grind setting. Not because the mini is great, but because the solis is even less so. :)

If you are truly just concerned about non-espresso brewing, sell your mini-e, and the resulting funds should more than cover a baratza virtuoso or preciso. I did exactly that recently when I started using my pharos for all espresso needs, and the mini was barely getting used.

Advertisement
turtle

#3: Post by turtle »

Have you cleaned the burrs on the Solis recently?

You can set the internal base line grind to a coarser setting. Have you done that?

http://www.baratza.com/wp-content/uploa ... ration.pdf

You can also use the Mini-e to grind if you want but that is like driving your Testarossa to the grocery store when you need to buy some bananas instead of taking the mini van (ouch)... Why?

Getting enough grounds for more than a single cup with an electronic doser will require you to multiple dose then collect, then weigh, then place in the brewer of your choice. Lot of steps IMHO

Get a Forte-BG or Vario-W with steel burrs.

Or.....

As previously recommended a Virtuoso or Preciso (with the Esatto attachment) if you prefer a conical burr girder. I have both a Forte-BG and Preciso/Esatto for pour-over/drip/press grinding

Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee