Learning Curves!?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Tomtg

#1: Post by Tomtg »

In December I dived into good coffee. Content with my melitta plastic drip, a moka pot and a recent purchase of a whirly bird grinder!

Explored beans from different regions. Fell in love with lighter roast coffees!

Then I got a Press Pot and enjoyed that as well. After that came a time of discontent with all three of my brewing methods due to inconsistency.

So I purchased a Kalita Wave. Purchased one less than great hand burr grinder and then purchased a hario mini mill (which I really Like), then a scale, and then finally a Bonavita Gooseneck kettle.

As I try to dial everything in to my tastes (the Moka pot was fairly easy!) I find myself frustrated as the learning curve hits.

I know it will be better on the other side when I really have nailed down dosage and grind to my taste with the Kalita Wave but the learning curve is (as it always is!) just frustrating. I am mostly figuring out dosage right now. Think I got it for the Wave: Roughly 25 grams of coffee for 340 grams of water. About 14:1. Seems to be close! Now beginning to hone in on grind size with the Hario Mini. Then back to the press pot! :D

Maybe some day a Chemex???

And of course always exploring beans!!

Advertisement
Intrepid510

#2: Post by Intrepid510 »

hmm I don't really think it should take too long. The Hario Mini Mill I think works good on the fine spectrum of grinding, like aero press/V60, anything coarser and it's not so great. So I think you might want to upgrade your grinder again just so you can something a bit coarser to deal with the Kallita better.

Also, be sure you like the coffee you are buying. Even if it is 'third wave' coffee doesn't mean it's good or roasted well. Have it at a shop and see if you like it there, chances are if you think it tastes underextracted with notes of dry grass it probably isn't going to taste good at home either.

Tomtg (original poster)

#3: Post by Tomtg (original poster) replying to Intrepid510 »

Things are getting better!

I tend to not like it too coarse in the Kalita. I think I got the dosage within a gram or two. Also think I got grind within a click or two depending on the bean.

The next variable is whether to pre-soak or to not pre-soak the kalita filters as I have heard varying opinions on this. Drinking a pre-soaked cup right now and need to test but I DO think it makes a difference on the Kalita filters.

And I agree that not all "third wave" beans are alike. I have found great consistency with George Howell beans. So for now his beans are my testing grounds. Although I have also enjoyed coffees from Temple and am enjoying a nice cup from Verve right now.

A few others have left me underwhelmed. But Howell's coffees tasted great even before I started diving in with parameters so that is why I am using his as my testing grounds.

I have also found that I tend to really like coffees from Ethiopia, and Guatemala best. Also enjoy some from El Salvador and Brazil. Am enjoying one from Panama as I write. Need to explore Kenyan coffees a bit.

kaldi61

#4: Post by kaldi61 »

It's not so much 'soaking' as it is a filter rinse, to get a bit of the paper taste out of your end product.

If you like Ethiopian, try a Kenyan for a different taste that's along the same spectrum.
-Nelson

LMWDP #506 "It's not just for breakfast anymore."

leon

#5: Post by leon »

I definitely think the Kalita filters should be rinsed. Just smell the steam when you pour hot water over the filter and you will notice the strong paper aroma. If in doubt, taste the rinse water and that should tell you if you're really washing out any of the paper taste.

Tomtg (original poster)

#6: Post by Tomtg (original poster) »

kaldi61 wrote:It's not so much 'soaking' as it is a filter rinse, to get a bit of the paper taste out of your end product.

If you like Ethiopian, try a Kenyan for a different taste that's along the same spectrum.
I just ordered a Kenyan AA from George Howell! Looking very much forward to it!

Tomtg (original poster)

#7: Post by Tomtg (original poster) »

leon wrote:I definitely think the Kalita filters should be rinsed. Just smell the steam when you pour hot water over the filter and you will notice the strong paper aroma. If in doubt, taste the rinse water and that should tell you if you're really washing out any of the paper taste.
I agree! The cups are already better from rinsing the filter.

making a rather noticeable difference. Which is allowing me to really tweak grind and dosage now. (not at the same time. :) )

Advertisement
Tomtg (original poster)

#8: Post by Tomtg (original poster) »

kaldi61 wrote:It's not so much 'soaking' as it is a filter rinse, to get a bit of the paper taste out of your end product.

Thanks for the tip!

The George Howell Kanganu AA from Kenya is WONDERFUL in the Kalita. And I do feel like have my dosing and grind to taste now.

But the Kenyan is great!! Thanks!

kaldi61

#9: Post by kaldi61 »

Excellent. I'll have to give that bean a try.
-Nelson

LMWDP #506 "It's not just for breakfast anymore."

Tomtg (original poster)

#10: Post by Tomtg (original poster) »

So I think my learning curve has ceased (at least for the moment anyway! :) )

With settings of: grind setting of 8 on the Hario Mini, 22 grams of coffee, 340 grams of water, and an extraction time between 3:25-3:45 in a Kalita 185 I have been getting really really sweet and juicy cups! No bitterness or sour taste. Clean! Clear. Tasty and refreshing! and so far consistent as well!

Mostly a George Howell Kanganu AA but also a Verve Panama Los Lojones Honey that has also come alive with these settings.