Kinto Slow Coffee

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
chang00

#1: Post by chang00 »

Recently Kinto released several new drip coffee items. Notably, called "Slow Coffee Style", which includes drip cones, kettle, brewers, carafe sets, servers, etc. In Asia these items can be purchased separately, but I think the North American distributor sells mostly sets.

For a long time, I always wanted a smaller elegant carafe for the Driver or Kone, in the 200-300ml range. The Chemex carafe is just too large to make 300ml of coffee. I even considered signing up for a ceramic class to make my own. Now Kinto offers such items. I got the 300ml and 600ml carafe sets, which include the glass servers and stainless steel drip cones.

The 600ml server also fits the Driver perfectly. On the Chemex, the Driver is a bit small. The 300ml set is just right for my office personal use, at about 1/2 of the height of the Chemex carafe.

Both Kinto stainless steel cones are smaller than the Kone. The holes appear similar. The fit and finish is at the level of the Kone, and more refined than the Driver.

Although the North American distributor is located in Canada, the warehouse is in southern California. From web ordering to receiving the items, only three days.

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

That's a much nicer footprint for single serve coffee. I might have to grab a few myself. Thanks for sharing!
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

jbviau
Supporter ★

#3: Post by jbviau »

Interesting. Did you buy them through Nüline's site? Also, would you mind posting a Kone 3 and Kinto side-by-side? Thanks much.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

chang00 (original poster)

#4: Post by chang00 (original poster) »

Here are some perspectives. Yes, I ordered from the North American distributor Nuline; excellent service.

To fit the Driver, use the 600ml carate. The 600ml filter also fits the Chemex. The 300ml filter additionally fits the Hario 01, although with the glass carafe, there is probably no such need, except in markets where the metal filter can be purchased separately.

Kinto 600ml vs Kone 3:

Kinto 300ml vs Kone 3:

I am particularly fond of the 300ml Kinto:

Kone 3, Kinto 600, and Kinto 300 filters staggered:

jbviau
Supporter ★

#5: Post by jbviau »

^^^ Much appreciated.

I believe Keith at Able designed and prototyped a one-cup version of the Kone in the past; he decided not to pursue it for whatever reason. Anyway, the 300ml Kinto does interest me somewhat despite my general aversion to pourover coffee. And that carafe would look cute next to my baby Chemex mug.

Bak Ta Lo
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Bak Ta Lo replying to jbviau »

Thanks Henry for the write up on these I had been thinking about getting that 300ml one as well, I was just unsure about the quality. How does the glass feel to you? Is it heavy and strong like Chemex glassware or more delicate?

Josh, maybe I missed your earlier posts as to why, but why do you say you have an aversion to pour over? Was it once you started making coffee in the Trifecta you lost interest in the pour over method? I also lost interest in fiddling with the pour over cones, save the Chemex, but I have never tried a metal filter in the Chemex.
LMWDP #371

jbviau
Supporter ★

#7: Post by jbviau »

I'm just really sensitive to papery tastes in coffee, so metal-filtered is and has always been my jam. Also, I prefer the consistency of non-pourover brew methods. I've had great Chemex brews at shops for sure, but I've never felt the urge to acquire a Chemex.

#8: Post by chang00 (original poster) »

The glass feels like the typical Hario or Iwaki glass, thinner than the Chemex.

I had mentioned to Able a while ago a smaller metal filter will be a good idea, or to release a carafe that is smaller than the Chemex.

The 600ml Kinto carafe has a wider neck; I can actually wash the carafe with my hand without a brush.

I do find the Kinto 600ml carafe and Driver are a perfect fit. it's been my goto method for the past few days. Now I wish Driver will make a 300ml version.

Riceman42

#9: Post by Riceman42 »

chang00 wrote:I do find the Kinto 600ml carafe and Driver are a perfect fit. it's been my goto method for the past few days. Now I wish Driver will make a 300ml version.
You have a nice repertoire of reusable filtration. I, on the other hand, currently do not own any metal filters except for the Kaffeologie S-filter for the Aeropress. I am very intrigued by the size and simplicity of the 300ml Kinto Brewer, but due to the fact that I have limited hands on experience with metal filters, I am curious if you could lend me some insight.

What are your thoughts about the performance of the Kinto metal filter? By what you have posted you have implied that it does not match up to the quality of the Driver. Since there is not a 300ml Driver to use with the 300ml Kinto Brewer, do you believe that it is still worth it to invest in the 300ml Kinto? Or is there a clear cut taste difference that the Driver is far superior and you would thus recommend the 600ml Kinto & Driver Combo?

Side note, do you know if any paper filtration works with the 300ml Kinto Brewer?

#10: Post by chang00 (original poster) »

The different metal filters yield coffee of slightly different styles. The Kone 3 and Kinto filters are quite similar; depending on the grinder, the brew will contain small amount of sediment at the bottom of the serving vessel. The Driver has the least sediment of the current metal filters visually. They are all excellent filters.

As for the paper filter, just place cone shaped paper filter "inside" the metal cone. The Hario 01 paper filter fits the Kinto 300ml, and Hario 02 paper filter fits Kinto 600ml. The fine mesh of the metal cone acts like flow restrictor and makes hand drip quite easy, without placing a flow restrictor in the kettle.