Kettle "flow restrictor": where to buy/mods - Page 4

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Jaxx2112

#31: Post by Jaxx2112 »

I ordered on the 17OCT and they shipped/invoiced on 20OCT. Give them a call if you're concerned, but they're relatively prompt in shipping.

johnny4lsu

#32: Post by johnny4lsu »

Got mine today.. They did use usps thankfully... Having a hard time getting one in my kettle at the office..my home kettle wasn't as bad. I really like the flow now

Riceman42 (original poster)

#33: Post by Riceman42 (original poster) replying to johnny4lsu »

Twas a struggle for me to squeeze mine in, but fortunately my wife was able to jam it in there for me. It's not completely 100% inside the spout (about 1/3 of the thick end is sticking out and pointing up a little). But it is in there far enough where it hasn't fallen out yet. I have brewed with it about a dozen times and haven't had any trouble. My only qualm is that due to the fact that it is jammed in there a certain way it may be restricting the flow a little more than desired.

I recall doing some forum research on flow restrictors last winter and I think that I remember someone saying that they used a scalpel to slightly shave off some of the silicone on their restrictor in order for it to fit more properly in the spout. (However, my mind may just be making this all up. But it could be worth a try.. :wink: ) I wish I would have purchased multiple so that I would have a backup if I accidentally wreck one.

If anyone takes their restrictor "under the knife" let me know how it goes. Thanks.

jesse

#34: Post by jesse »

I finally called Espresso Supply today. Apparently the order shipped a few days ago. My order page still says the order's "processing", though, and although there's a field for one, no tracking number is listed. So I guess they just need to update the functionality a little.

Edit: Finally got one into my kettle (which was something of a challenge, by the way). Happy to report these things dramatically improve control, even for someone who has a relatively deft hand to begin with.

Very pleased!

johnny4lsu

#35: Post by johnny4lsu »

I had a heck of a time getting the flow restrictor into my home kettle, and I've yet to get one into my one at my office.

jesse

#36: Post by jesse »

^ Are they both Bonavitas?

Shenrei

#37: Post by Shenrei »

Yeesh, how on earth are people installing these correctly inside of the base of the kettle? I've been trying for 30 minutes and just can't get it to fit. Since I bought five of them as they were so cheap, I cut/tapered the ends off of one of them and after I did that, I was able to get it to fit but sooner or later I would like to do it without cutting it.

Edit: This restrictor is working great however :) But oh man, do NOT want to try attaching it to the base again.
- Tim

[creative nickname]

#38: Post by [creative nickname] »

Mine hasn't arrived yet but this discussion is worrying me. I sometimes brew larger batches and would want to remove it when I'm doing that. If it's so hard to get in or remove that's going to make it less functional. It may not look the prettiest but the metal flow restrictor in the spout of the kettle is certainly easy to swap in and out.

I'll post some updates once I've had a chance to try it out for myself.
LMWDP #435

Jaxx2112

#39: Post by Jaxx2112 »

Good thing to note-- if you have giant meatpaws for hands, find a small girl and pay her in coffee to install the restrictor... Because for the life of me-- i cannot get my fingers into that kettle & manipulate the damn thing to boot.

I think trimming some of the excess around the tip makes sense, to at least give it a cork-like taper that once i position, i can wedge it in there with a pair of surgical tweezers. As far as removing, since it has a pretty big sillicone nub on the exterior, i think i ought to just be able to pinch and remove with the tweezers.

[creative nickname]

#40: Post by [creative nickname] »

I spent 15 minutes trying to get one of the silicone ones to fit (including performing surgery with an X-acto knife), and decided that it wasn't worth the bother. Even if I could have eventually gotten it in there (most likely, as was suggested, with my wife's assistance), the problem would be swapping it in and out when I want to switch to higher volume brewing methods. I don't want to wait for a slow pour when I'm doing a 1L press pot, for instance. The metal flow restrictor I usually use has the benefit that I can just stick it into the tip of the spout with my fingers, and remove it just as easily. No fuss, no muss, and a nice slow pour.
LMWDP #435