Kaffeologie S Filter for AeroPress

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Sam21

#1: Post by Sam21 »

Hi all,

I received my S-filter on Saturday and have brewed two cups so far. I thought it would be about time to start a small thread to hear what has been working for people so far.

I've only used it for inverted brewing so far with great results. 18g/250ml, 203F water, 1.25mm on the Rosco (Lido is getting a much deserved breather as my travel grinder), 1min steep with a stir in the beginning. At 60sec stir, cap, flip, and press slowly until 2 min. I am going to push a touch finer still on the grind but was amazed at how little sediment there was! I ended up drinking the last sip with nothing noticeable in the mouthfeel. Tasty to the last drop. It cleans very easily too... The one annoyance is not being able to cleaning swipe the filter off the side. I get coffee stuck to it - need to practice that a bit.

Either way, my inverted method will need some tweaking but right off the bat I've gotten great results. I am not sure it would work well for a regular method as it offers close to no resistance for the water.

How are others doing with the S-filter?!

Bak Ta Lo
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Bak Ta Lo »

Sam,

I think the comparison everyone will want to know is how does this filter compare to the Able "Disk-Fine" and Disk. Do you see one being clearly better than the other?

Jeremy
LMWDP #371

Sam21 (original poster)

#3: Post by Sam21 (original poster) replying to Bak Ta Lo »

As far as durability, the regular Disk is the champion. It does allow a good deal more sediment through than the Disk Fine. The Disk Fine does a great job for me as far as the resulting cup, but I find it far too delicate for road travel. Cleaning it became a challenge when in a hotel room. The S-filter on the other hand is durable, leaves almost nothing in the bottom of the cup, and the cups are delicious. For me, I love all three filters but time will tell what my taste buds prefer.

Sam

Bak Ta Lo
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Bak Ta Lo »

Well I have been very delayed in coming back to this topic... But, I really like the S filter. I have had some great coffee around this week and been on holiday so I could try my filter out side by side with my Disk Fine. I really like the S, it does not supply any back pressure, so the coffee extracts by almost running through the filter. If someone does not like the AeroPress due to the force need to extract, this is a good alternate filter, you do not have to use any strong down force, but the coffee is very clean and filtered. I am guessing the way the mesh screen is designed allows the coffee to run through with less pressure, while still trapping fines.

Anyone else got their hands on one of these?
LMWDP #371

TomC
Team HB

#5: Post by TomC »

I received mine about 2 months ago, but it's seen little use, just a cup or two. I found that I had to do an inverted method to get the brew right. Honesly, I don't see much difference between this device and the Able Fine Disk.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Cafedenda

#6: Post by Cafedenda »

I have used mine about 10 times but I prefer the Disk Fine. Easier to clean and seems to be sturdier. I get much less fines with the Disk Fine as well. The S does seem to allow more of the coffee oil to pass through and the resultant taste is more organic with the S. I guess I just prefer my coffee slightly less raw so this is definitely a YMMV case. I have tried a few different methods from http://brewmethods.com/ as well as Kaffeologie's. Btw, I am using grinders not known for drip grinding so I get a decent amount of fines.

I just reread Sam's previous post and my experience is completely different than his. To clean the DF, I cup it in my hand and bow it a little. I then use my fore finger to wipe off most of the coffee that is stuck on the filter. With the S, I am afraid to touch the fine mesh screen and would rather not dump the stuck half teaspoonful of ground into the garbage disposal.

Sam21 (original poster)

#7: Post by Sam21 (original poster) »

For cleaning the S-filter, slide it off sideways while applying downward pressure. I get no grounds stuck to the filter and a quick massage under the faucet does the trick. The mesh is sturdy and handles things well. I really have enjoyed it over the holiday season.

I won't comment on the Disk filters in comparison as they are all different.

EricBNC

#8: Post by EricBNC »

I think it produces a cleaner cup than what the Able Disk Fine can produce. The Able product doesn't leave a ton of mud in the cup but the Kaffeologie S prevents sediment in the cup a little better for me and my grinders.
LMWDP #378
Author of "The Bell Curve: Instructions for Proper Herd Mentality"

Sam21 (original poster)

#9: Post by Sam21 (original poster) »

I've had similar results.

the_trystero

#10: Post by the_trystero »

EricBNC wrote:I think it produces a cleaner cup than what the Able Disk Fine can produce. The Able product doesn't leave a ton of mud in the cup but the Kaffeologie S prevents sediment in the cup a little better for me and my grinders.
I finally sent them my address and received mine 2 weeks ago or so. I've moved to the S Filter, hands down cleaner cup.

The only slight drawback to the S Filter is that it's a little harder to get the grinds off of than the Disk Fine, the Disk Fine is one easy swipe, the S Filter needs some brushing. Generally with the Disk Fine I slide it off the puck and it retains very little grinds, then a quick rinse under hot water. With the S Filter much more grinds stick to it when I slide it off the puck. No big deal.
"A screaming comes across the sky..." - Thomas Pynchon