Invergo (Kickstarter) - Page 4

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
IMAWriter

#31: Post by IMAWriter »

So the flow rate can be controlled? Watching the Kickstarter video, it seemed that the stream had a bit more velocity than I'd see doing mine manually, and the stream seemed a bit "thick?"
If in fact, the stream can be adjusted to a bit less volume per second stream, that would really be of significance.

Someone mentioned adjusting the pouring diameter? Off hand, I would say my Chemex 8 cupper has a wider pouring orifice than my Kalita 185. How does he accomplish both, with an even spread, and no water on the counter top? Again, if he's managed to ameliorate any issues like that he has indeed brought something unique to the marketplace.

One wonders how he can include a pump, electronics, the pouring mechanism, and of course, the physical device itself for his asking price.

Bak Ta Lo
Supporter ♡

#32: Post by Bak Ta Lo »

I do not want to violate the H-B "no vendor complaints" policy, but the nature of this whole project is basically a vendor related conversation. For some here at H-B another conversation on a Kickstarter project feeling shady may just get their eyes rolling, here we go again. I know this is the nature of Kickstarter, and it is not an "ordering" goods" experience, but the news today is a bit hard to swallow.

Invergo sent out a kickstarter update to the backers today, it has some language that is a bit worrisome, and makes me feel they "moved the goalposts" on this project. Their Kickstarter campaign never made clear the need for them to get venture capital to even build the first round of devices, over and above the money that people pledged for in the Kickstarter campaign.

Cameron Hughes, CEO & Founder of Invergo Coffee, in an email said:
Seed Round Funding, Pitch Deck and Business Plan
We have spent most of the last month putting together a business plan and other investment documents. We have just opened our seed round and are scheduled to pitch our idea to a few angel investors. This is an extremely important step that we must complete in order to move to the next step, Manufacturing. We have mostly everything in place to move onto manufacturing however lack the capital to do so. Kickstarter has given us the traction necessary to interest seasoned investors and are very close to securing the capital to get us to the next step.
So, without these angel investors they will not be able to do any manufacturing? What was the Kickstarter money for, just to attract more investors?
LMWDP #371

dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#33: Post by dumpshot »

As a backer of the Invergo project, I got that email today, too.

I always thought that his timeline seemed slightly aggressive, as in totally unobtainable. But I agree with you that today's statement that he needs funding in order to move forward makes me feel misled.

Here's to hoping it all works out. After following the ZPM project since the beginning, I sent that $100 with the understanding that I was risking it all, but hoping it all worked out. In that light, nothing has changed for me.

Pete
LMWDP #484

Bak Ta Lo
Supporter ♡

#34: Post by Bak Ta Lo »

Pete,

Yes, totally agree on the the timeline, I always add six months to any KS timeline I read. I don't mind waiting, or long delays due to unforeseen circumstances, manufacturing issues, parts and supply issues. But, to first say the beta units will ship November 2014 and then send the first post about manufacturing to say only that the $35,000 will be nice to have to attract the money he really needs to manufacture the product is disingenuous at best.

He should have created the project with the description as "donate to my startup fund to show the market there are people that are interested, so I may then pitch this idea to angel investors later, then maybe if I get investors I will build them". If it had been pitched as it is being carried out, I would have just passed and supported some other project.
LMWDP #371

Bob_McBob

#35: Post by Bob_McBob »

The ZPM guys got in way over their heads from their initial small scale business plan, so the way that project went was reasonably understandable. It sounds like Invergo never had any plan to finance manufacturing through the Kickstarter funding, but neglected to tell their backers beforehand. That is a rather shady.
Chris

michael

#36: Post by michael »

I don't recall the kickstarter pitch stating that additional financing was required before the units could be manufactured; did I miss it?

[creative nickname]

#37: Post by [creative nickname] »

I'm trying to hold on to my optimism, but this update doesn't make it easy.
LMWDP #435

ohofmann

#38: Post by ohofmann »

Interesting. Missed it and went for the http://ratiocoffee.com/ instead which _seems_ to be getting closer to shipping. I'd actually would love to have all the additional control this unit offers over the Ratio, but I suppose the Ratio's design is what got me in the end.

michael

#39: Post by michael »

on a more practical level, it would be better if both of these projects included a thermos type pot so the coffee could be kept hot for a second cup or if not everyone was at the breakfast table yet; I wonder why these projects don't include that feature

what do others think about the invergo update 8)

[creative nickname]

#40: Post by [creative nickname] »

With the invergo, you could brew into a thermos if you like, which would keep the coffee hotter for longer. Personally, I don't like brewing into thermoses because I enjoy the shifting flavors as coffee cools, and I'd rather brew a fresh batch than serve anyone stale coffee.
LMWDP #435