Impress Coffee Brewer, Paper Filtered

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
westgl

#1: Post by westgl »

I received my Impress Coffee Brewer about a week or so ago, and have been doing some Brewing taste test comparisons, and comparing it to my AeroPress.

I like them both for Taste, But this is Mainly about the Impress Coffee Brewer.

I tried the Impress Coffee Brewer with about a Medium Coarse grind, I am getting some small sediment in the cup, while i dont usually drink the last little bit in the bottom of the cup, well most of the time i dont.

I could go coarser on the grind, or use a finer Filter, like a paper filter.

So I tried a couple of different ways, to achieve a Cleaner cup of coffee, for when I or the family/guests, wants it that way.

Without using any additional Paper filtration the coffee is Kind of like traditional French Press, but the Impress is already somewhat cleaner and not as muddy as french press, Impress does Not have any coffee grinds in the coffee cup.

What it does have is some very fine sediment in the bottom of the cup.

So I wanted to see if i could when I felt like a cleaner cup by using a Paper filter to get rid of the sediment, it is Not a lot of sediment but there is some.

I used a #2 cone Drip Brown Paper filter, and Optionally, I also used a AeroPress Paper Filter.

When I used the #2 cone Drip Paper filter with the Impress,
Using the #2 Paper Filter

I First Unscrew the SS Filter basket from the Impress Coffee brewer, then Wrap the Impress ss Coffee Filter with the #2 paper filter and tuck the edges into the Impress filter basket, Since the paper filter covers the threads on the Impress filter basket it will Not screw back in But it will press in and fit Snugly in, it will Not fall out.

Once the filter basket has been pressed in you are ready to make coffee.
Be sure to press slowly!!!. as you dont want to tear the paper filter, i have had that problem so far.

Optionally you can use both a AeroPress Filter and a #2 paper filter, if doing this method,
I wet the AeroPress filter and lay it into the "Removed" Impress SS filter basket, and then Wrap the #2 paper filter around the Impress Filter basket and Press the Impress filter basket back into the inner Press sleeve for a Press fit.

You are ready to press coffee, Just Press Slowly.

I have done several Blind Taste tests with my Family, and they do like the filtered Impress better than the Unfiltered Impress.

Next;
I want, to do a Water Temp Brew Test,
Using Lower water temps starting with 180 instead of 200-210, or work my way back from 205 degrees.
Then test,
Brew times, I did a preliminary Brew time test instead of the claimed 3.00 minutes used a brew time of 4.00 Minutes brew time and received a sour taste in the cup, I may use 1/4 minute intervals maybe start by using a little less time.

If nothing else, it gives me a chance to enjoy a lot of coffee.
Pasquini Livia G4,BES870XL,EC155, Pour Over's, Impress, AeroPress, French Press

leon

#2: Post by leon »

Keep us updated on your results. I love my Impress, it's a fun way to enjoy coffee.

A suggestion: You might try checking to see if the Aeropress filter fits well on the inside of the basket. If so, you could try the pull method of brewing with the Aeropress filter in the bottom of the inner sleeve and see how that works.

westgl (original poster)

#3: Post by westgl (original poster) »

I thought about doing the pull method.

The AeroPress filter does fit well inside the Impress SS filter Basket (I wet it first then lay it inside the Impress Filter basket with No modification) as I am using the AeroPress Filter and the #2 cone filter together, so it is like a triple filtration, AeroPress filter, and #2 Brown Paper drip cone Filter, and OEM SS Impress filter basket.

But the AeroPress filter needs to have some help to hold its position, so that is why i use the #2 drip Cone filter wetted, as it helps hold the Aeropress filter in place for the coffee press.

I wet the AeroPress Filter lay it inside the Impress SS-Stainless Steel Filter, then take the #2 Brown Paper Cone filter and Wrap it around the SS Impress filter and tuck it inside the Impress SS filter basket, Then I wet the whole thing, and since the #2 paper filter will be covering the threads on the Impress filter basket it wont thread in, But it will press in snugly and cannot fall out or come out till i take it out, dont push it in too tight as it, may make it a little harder to get back out, just a comfortable press in, with not much pressure.

When I pull it all back apart, for a Post Press check for movement of Aeropress filter or damage /tearing of the #2 cone filter there has Not Been any up to this Time, and it has work flawlessly, I have Not had the AeroPress filter move from the place I put it in.

In the configuration of My filters and doing the Press method, the coffee passes through in the following manner.
1. AeroPress Filter
2. Impress SS filter Basket
3. #2 Drip Cone Brown Paper filter
In that order, from the Lowest filter in the bottom of the Impress to the highest, the #2 Cone filter can be seen in the impress before pressed down.

Wrapping the #2 drip filter around the Impress SS filter then wetting the whole thing helps keep the AeroPress filter in place.

The Pull Method works good with just the OEM metal filter basket, but adding the paper filters adds some press resistance, it is a slower press, with both the AeroPress and the #2 paper cone filters together.

That is the reason why I did Not use the pull method with the added filter(s) as it creates some added resistance to the press, and it seems to me it may Not work and I would be pulling the Hot coffee up and out of the Impress, and on me or the floor, Good freshly Roast & Ground coffee is a terrible thing to waste.

I could try a cold water Pull (No coffee just filters) first to see the results, then may try the spent grounds, after I press the coffee for my cup, and cold water.

My Family likes the triple filtration the Best for taste, so far, and absolutely Zero sediment in the bottom of the cup, so you can drink it to the last drop and have a clean last sip of coffee.

I just wash off the AeroPress filter and reuse them at least 10 times, I may try and see how many times I can get out of one AeroPress filter, you ready Guinness book of World Records.

westgl (original poster)

#4: Post by westgl (original poster) »

leon wrote:Keep us updated on your results. I love my Impress, it's a fun way to enjoy coffee.

A suggestion: You might try checking to see if the Aeropress filter fits well on the inside of the basket. If so, you could try the pull method of brewing with the Aeropress filter in the bottom of the inner sleeve and see how that works.
Hey Leon,

Thanks

Yea I Love my Impress too, as you can Tell, I have both the Impress and the AeroPress, I Really Like the Impress, Especially Filtered.

You can use just the #2 Drip Paper Filter Wrapped around the Impress SS filter Basket wetting the whole thing, without the AeroPress Filter, it Presses easier with Just the #2 Filter drip cone paper Filter, and still provides a Nice clean cup of coffee.

My AeroPress does Not get used very Much anymore, Main reason is I dont Like any type of Plastic's coming in contact with any of my food or Beverages, especially a stressed Plastic, (Stressed Plastic is Heating of the Plastic) like using Hot Liquid or food in contact with the plastic, reports i have read say even Cold Plastics and even "BPA Safe" Plastics, (the report I read, says "BPA Safe" plastics are Worse in releasing other harmful chemicals) release Very Harmful chemicals cold, and when stressed by Heating, are a Lot Worse.

I thought About getting a Clever Brewer, But wont as it is "BPA Safe" Haha!!! ("BPA Safe?" is the worst for releasing Other chemicals)

But i do Like the Ceramic drip, using a 15 second Bloom time, & the slow pour over method to lengthen the brew cycle time.

westgl (original poster)

#5: Post by westgl (original poster) »

I just did a AeroPress Filter Only, cold water Pull test per Leon's suggestion,

The Cold water Pull test No Coffee, was successful, Tomorrow i will try a Coffee Brew test using a Aeropress Filter.

Next test Day, I'll try a #2 Drip Cone Brown Paper filter Pull test, I'll wrap the #2 filter the opposite way, so that way it is most effective for a Coffee brew Pull instead of a Press.

One Paper filter either the #2 or the Aeropress paper filter is more than enough.

The goal is 99% sediment removal, and a clean cup of coffee.

Sorry if this is a repeat of someone else's efforts, but I tried searching this site and could not find anything in regards to filtering with the Impress coffee brewer.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster »

I think I tried this once (Aeropress filter in my Impress) but found that it didn't stay put. I also didn't like the idea of leaving a paper filter in the brewer while I drink, I'll sometimes pick up paper filter tastes if they're not well rinsed and often prefer metal filtration (Kone, Impress, Espresso) over paper filtration as I'm not bothered by some suspended solids in the cup.

I also tried the pull method, but if you brew in the inner sleeve and then pull it out to filter it you've got immediate clean-up to deal with. I'm often in the position of having to brew a quick cup on the go and will often walk out to my car with the inner sleeve put into only the top of the Impress and push it down after five minutes once I'm out at the car. I also find that the lid stays put with the inner sleeve in place but not so much without it, since I use my Impress brew mugs as travel mugs even when I don't brew coffee in them (I just leave out the filter and the gasket) I've found that I need to keep the inner sleeve with the cup to make sure the lid stays put.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

wsfarrell

#7: Post by wsfarrell »

Clever way of using a paper filter with Impress. I usually pour the coffee from the Impress into a cup, so there's no chance of lingering paper tastes.

I have tried to pour an Impress brew through a paper cone filter, but the micro-fines quickly clog the filter and the coffee just stops draining.

Will try your method this evening----thanks!

jpender

#8: Post by jpender »

I think a silicone piece that fit inside the basket and held an Aeropress filter in place would be one way to do this. At least that's what I'd try. I am sensitive to paper taste and wouldn't want to use any more than necessary. And I usually don't mind sediment.

I've only used my Impress (Presse, actually) once so far and the sediment wasn't an issue. In fact I liked the fullness of the body. I've been brewing the same coffee for the last ten days, first with my Aeropress (which I recently pronounced dead), then with my Brikka (first as shots and then Americanos), and now with the Impress/Presse. The coffee tasted different with each method. I don't understand coffee.

The cup I made with the (Im)Press(e) was quite good though. Much more chocolatey than via those other methods. A little messier than the Aeropress to clean, but less messy to brew. I like it.

[creative nickname]

#9: Post by [creative nickname] »

Espro's new travel press makes a similar process very easy -- they even include perfectly sized paper filters as part of the purchase price. I've been using it for a few days, and I have to say it is a pretty nice upgrade from the Impress/Bobble system. It also has a lid that tightens down to form a water-tight seal, allowing you to brew and then treat the unit like a thermos while on the go. And even without using the paper filters, the Espro double-mesh filtration system beats all other press-pot designs for cup clarity.
LMWDP #435

westgl (original poster)

#10: Post by westgl (original poster) replying to [creative nickname] »

The unit looks well thought out.

But I Dont Let ANY Plastic's touch my food or beverage especially BPA/ BBP/PHTH free Plastics, as they are the Worst for Leeching Other Less known, but Harmful chemical substances into the food or beverage and they leech the chemicals Cold, Just sitting in contact with the Plastic, Most of the Problems today are Plastic related in some way, But when you Stress the Plastic like Heating it with A hot substance it is Much worse.

You Notice they are finding More and More Chemicals in the Plastics, and Yes Even in the BPA Safe plastics too,

BPA was big a few years ago, then there was another chemical, and another and another, I have a few of the most common ones listed above, now there is at least a few known chemicals + EA "Estrogenic Activity" which is the latest, a Chemical that Blocks your natural bodies Hormones, and acts as a Estrogen in the blood, if your a woman this is a Bad form of Estrogen, and if your a man, well blocking Testosterone and adding a bunch of this Faux Estrogen is not a great thing, and thats the BPA safe plastics.

Since they are finding out More New Chemicals are found in plastics as they are able to Have new test methods for them, (If they dont/cant test for it They wont be able to find it) we are finding out that plastics that we use for food storage, Plastic Bags, & containers are Not what they appear to be.

If you are a man and go in to have blood tests done, have them test for Free Estrogen level and testosterone levels in the blood, see if you have a elevated Estrogen Level, and a Low to Very Low Testosterone, LOW T could be age related But NOT High Estrogen, I have seen reports of quite a few men with higher, to MUCH Higher than normal estrogen levels.

Moderator Note: There's a lot of fear about chemicals in our food, especially plastics. The comment above expresses some of those fears. To keep this thread on topic, let me refer readers to a discussion that is easier to find in a site search.

Brewing without plastic