Impress Coffee Brewer (Kickstarter)

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
bostonbuzz

#1: Post by bostonbuzz »

But this one probably won't take an extra year to ship. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inv ... fee-brewer

It's essentially a metal french press and an aeropress put together. Press the coffee and it flows through the screen (more like a basket) and into the press itself which becomes the inner container. Coffee doesn't flow around it thanks to a simple gasket. You don't have to pour it in anything because the screen is fine enough that brewing stops and so the entire brewing device becomes a travel mug. Pretty dang cool. Although it gives me peace of mind when I toss the grinds of my chemex, or pour from a french press, this concept looks very promising.

LMWDP #353

jbviau
Supporter ★

#2: Post by jbviau »

I like it. ETA April 2013, I see. Not sure I have it in me to buy yet another gadget, but I do like metal-filtered coffee. Thanks for the heads up.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Advertisement
sashaman

#3: Post by sashaman »

This looks cool, but I don't understand "the screen is fine enough that brewing stops" bit. Anyone else get that part?

rlevine

#4: Post by rlevine »

Alex - I was wondering the same thing. Most of the opinions I've seen have been very positive, meanwhile those same people hate on the french press for overextracting because the grounds stay in contact. The theory - I'm assuming - is that with the fineness of the holes, the amount of contact will be drastically reduced. I'm in no position to make a judgment, but I am surprised that they so easily make the claim that overextraction doesn't happen, and that with the exception of you (Alex), I haven't seen anyone mention it.

Nevertheless I think it's a cool idea. Not really something I'd use, so I probably won't be in for it. But I'm anxious to see what people say once they get it in their hands. I always like watching new products hit market like this. Fresh ideas are always good, even if they aren't.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by yakster »

It sounds like the coffee gets pushed down into the bottom where it's sealed away from the water until you take it apart for cleaning.

Sounds great for making road coffee.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

rlevine

#6: Post by rlevine »

Partially true. As far as I can tell, it isn't "sealed away." It works just like a french press, but with a filter that is more like a portafilter. Very small holes means water contact is MINIMIZED, not eliminated.

bostonbuzz (original poster)

#7: Post by bostonbuzz (original poster) »

When I went to the Counter Culture open house in Boston, i was brewed a french press, and after ~4m the grinds were struck with a spoon and fell to the bottom. After that, brewing was done, and it wouldn't matter how long you let them sit there. I was told that you don't even have to plunge. Of course we did to pour the coffee. Someone should order 2 of these and do a test, one plunging, and one pouring. After 1 hour, is there any difference?
LMWDP #353

Advertisement
jbviau
Supporter ★

#8: Post by jbviau »

Works in cupping, right?! Of course, a quality grinder is a must...

jzuzphreek

#9: Post by jzuzphreek »

I'm a bit confused at the idea that just because the grounds have dropped to the bottom means extraction has stopped. If that were true, why does extraction continue when the grounds are floating at the top? Is there some magical science that takes place as the grounds fall to the bottom that stops extraction?

I don't think so.

In cupping, you break the crust of the extracting coffee then take a sip of the liquid. This process is aided with a spoon. You're not typically drinking an entire cup for the cupping process. Allowing the grounds to sit in the cup is of no consequence, because your not going back for sip after sip.

Even after plunging an FP, extraction WILL continue. If you don't believe me, make some today. Allow regular extraction to occur, plunge and pour your first cup. Drink, and enjoy your cup as you normally would. Then several minutes later, pour the rest of the coffee from the FP into a cup and try to enjoy it.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#10: Post by jbviau »

Cuppings I've been to last longer than 4 minutes, and there *was* (re)tasting as the coffee cooled. I think minimal agitation is the key to extending the acceptable extraction window in full-immersion brews, though I doubt it could be extended indefinitely.