Impress Coffee Brewer (Kickstarter) - Page 7

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
TomC
Team HB

#61: Post by TomC »

Doesn't take China long, does it? :?
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Jerry43

#62: Post by Jerry43 »

Here's a review from August on the Walmart version. Sales of the Impress must be slow as they did a BOGO sale on Cyber Monday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlmZuBf0VYw

Advertisement
VernS

#63: Post by VernS »

There is at least one more press which uses the same concept. The GSI Commuter Java Press was reviewed by Gizmag.com in Aug 2012, long before the Impress kickstarter program.

The GSI Commuter Java Press reminds me of the AeroPress with some added neoprene insulation and a lid. It actually works quite well. I got mine for $17.50 from mec.ca . The coffee produced is between an Espro press and a Bodum press.

Jerry43

#64: Post by Jerry43 »

I didn't find the Walmart one in 2 stores in Richmond VA and it is not on their website.

VernS

#65: Post by VernS »

I have never seen the Walmart version, but the GSI Commuter Java press is widely available in the USA, including Amazon.com. It is not metal like the Walmart version, but it does not have a silicone lid either, which for me is the worst tasting lid I have ever drank coffee through.

GSI has a good reputation of producing camping equipment which can handle the expected abuse.

TomC
Team HB

#66: Post by TomC »

I think I need a new modding project :) That would be quick and easy.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

beer&mathematics

#67: Post by beer&mathematics »

Great thread and looks like a really great device. How secure do you think the lid is? Do you think it is rugged enough to survive (full of coffee) being put into a pocket in a messenger bag while I run around the city to work?

To me, the lid looks spongy and weak and might not be designed for what I have in mind. For example, I bought a KeepCup to replace a klean kanteen I used to have but left it in the subway one day when I was really sleepy/overworked. The keep cup is super flimsy and I wouldn't throw it in my bag so I am still looking for another transport container. I'm torn between getting the Klean again or buying the Impress both are great for different purposes.

I hope the buying advice is not too far off topic ;)
LMWDP #431

Advertisement
yakster
Supporter ♡

#68: Post by yakster »

Short answer, no.

The lid fits best with the inner sleeve, so I use it even if I'm just using it as a travel mug and not a brewer. The lid also has three small breather holes. I trust itin the side compartment of my backpack but this keeps it vertical, jostling around in a messenger bag is a recipe for disaster, I'd think a thermos would be better.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

beer&mathematics

#69: Post by beer&mathematics replying to yakster »

Thanks Chris appreciate it. I feel like I'll get both eventually. Gadgetitus is real!
LMWDP #431

yakster
Supporter ♡

#70: Post by yakster »

yakster wrote: I trust it in the side compartment of my backpack but this keeps it vertical, jostling around in a messenger bag is a recipe for disaster, I'd think a thermos would be better.
I spilled some coffee down the back of my shirt when hoisting my backpack over my shoulder today. I'll have to be more careful about it in the future, the coffee came out the three breather holes.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272