Heart Roasters AeroPress technique

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
DavidMLewis

#1: Post by DavidMLewis »

A long time ago, I let my AeroPress lie fallow. I missed the mid-mouth flavors when used as directed, and wasn't willing to go the inverted route because it seemed too spill-prone. I walked into a local roaster, Heart, and saw that they had AeroPress as one of the prep methods on their board. So I asked them for their recipe, and it turns out to make a pretty fine cup with the light roasts and fruity coffees common around here.
  1. Insert filter, rinse with boiling water, and pour out.
  2. Add fairly finely ground coffee, 17-19 grams. Too bitter, increase, too salty, reduce. Go in half gram increments. The differences with small changes in dosage are relatively large, as they are in espresso.
  3. Start timer and add 275 grams water just off the boil, then put plunger just in top to seal.
  4. At 50-60 seconds, remove plunger and agitate for five seconds with stirrer.
  5. Plunge, taking 20 seconds, stopping when air goes through but before compressing coffee bed.
The cup is notably sweet, with beautiful acidity in the Guats I've tried; those characteristics are more muted in the Clever with the same coffees. Anyway, another option.

Best,
David

endlesscycles

#2: Post by endlesscycles »

-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

DavidMLewis (original poster)

#3: Post by DavidMLewis (original poster) »

Who knew there was a World AeroPress Championship!

David

Chert

#4: Post by Chert »

I like the suggestion to delay the agitation for a minute. I have done the agitation after 20 seconds and pity the grounds that adhere to the stirring rod and miss some extraction in the rest of the process.
LMWDP #198

osks

#5: Post by osks »

DavidMLewis wrote:Who knew there was a World AeroPress Championship!
If you want to find out more about it: http://worldaeropresschampionship.wordpress.com/