Have Aeropress-Need advice on best prevailing brew method

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
genecounts

#1: Post by genecounts »

Like three espressos and one Aeropress daily.

Son back from Afghanistan and I owe him big time for the Monsooned Malabar and Robusta I sent him last shipment of fresh roasts. It was not a hit with the troops!

Lost my metal filter for Aeropress and back to using paper filters. Drinks are decent but not wow!
Am I filtering out too much oils?

Have looked at Chemex and other methods. I know BoldJava likes "pourover".

Just ordered some Geisha from him from GCBC and want to do it justice.
Would appreciate knowing some of your preferences.

DavidMLewis

#2: Post by DavidMLewis »

Personally, I am partial to Heart's recipe. I like it because it brings out a lot of fruit (particularly in coffees that may be a couple of days past their peak), and because the non-inverted orientation is easier for me and means that the plunger does not touch the coffee. One of the nice things about the AeroPress is how much variation there is in usage, though, so don't be afraid to play around.

Best,
David

Eastsideloco

#3: Post by Eastsideloco »

Here are the Top 3 recipes from the 2014 World Aeropress Championships:

http://worldaeropresschampionship.com/recipes/

If you have an iPhone, check out the AeroPress app. The recipe I use is "The Weaver". It is simple, and Brandon Weaver won a regional AeroPress Championship using it.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

+1 on "The Weaver," that's been my go-to method.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

genecounts (original poster)

#5: Post by genecounts (original poster) »

Thanks folks
Able Disc in mail and should be here tomorrow. Ordered the coarse rather than the fine. ok?

Great tip on using the "The Weaver"
I'm practicing with my morning drinks.
Have used the Heart Recipe up to now and have to agree with David it does bring out the fruits.

Can't stagnate and want to keep up with the latest methods.

genecounts (original poster)

#6: Post by genecounts (original poster) »

Problems practicing the Weaver Method this AM.

Can only get 220ml of 204 degree water in. Yes I know you can then treat it like an Americano and add water to taste. But?
Curiously Aeropress recommends adding 185 degree water. I don't think so.

And the top three at the recent US Aeropress Championships all used paper filters? Very surprising. Going back to tradition, hmmm.

Well, guess I'll go back to a modified Heart recipe but using the Able disc when it arrives so can enjoy more oils.
Sincerely appreciate your comments. Just have to love the diversity out there.

jammin

#7: Post by jammin »

"The weaver" is basically the same recipe Coava posted years ago. That's been my go to as well

TomC
Team HB

#8: Post by TomC »

In contex to the link and most of the comments, is that last little bit of brew before the air sputtering on the finish really that bitter and "oil laden"?

I sold my Aeropress here a year or so ago because it sat unused. When I found out that I can't trust that my brewing gear wont get stolen at work, I had to go back to a lightweight brewing setup that is compact and portable. Back to the Aeropress I went. Can't say I'm disappointed however. It never failed to make a great cup. But the comments about the last bit of brew really pique my curiousity.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

MWJB

#9: Post by MWJB »

It can be, but depends on method. Especially if brewing un-inverted, with a very short steep, or staged pour, you're still essentially washing out the grinds towards the end of the extraction, so can overextract the last issue from the Aeropress. Because you are able to press the trapped air through the puck, you are expelling more of the trapped liquid from the grinds bed than you would with say a gravity driven drip brew. I have used my Aeropress pretty much as a plunge assisted drip brewer, and even just a few grams over can push the cup into bitterness. Even with a "good" cup, it may still be possible that the last drops are watery/bland heading bitter, but you may need this to balance the cup as a whole. I'd still expect significant oils in the cup brewing like this though.

Try using a brewstand & periodically dipstick taste the output to see how the flavour of the last drops affect the cup overall. You may be able to dial out excessive bitterness through grind?

The other end of the scale is brewing inverted, longer steeps, add the coffee to the water (I fill the brewer inverted, then flip for the steep when grinds & water are combined, swirling to wash any clods off the bung). The oils are more likely to float to the top, be last part out of the brewer & trapped in the bed. The higher the extraction you get in the steep phase, the less impact, proportionally, you get from plunging the liquid through the bed.

Anything in between may give you results, well... in between.

Kabouter

#10: Post by Kabouter »

For me with light roasted coffees I find that Shuichi Sasaki's winning recipe (link posted above by eastsideloco) works very well. It's actually the first out of a long list that I really like consistently. I think that Shuichi's recipe's 75-sec actual press time contributes much to clarity; I used to get less transparent looking (and tasting!) brews. For the one stir after pooring in the bulk of the water I make sure to just move the stirrer back and forth once along the diametrical axis rather than stir in a circular motion, since the latter produces a mound and I think that having a flat bed helps filter out fines. He also leaves 45 g total mass behind, I guess to make sure not to push that trapped liquid out.

[edit: typo]