Has anyone had experience with the Ratio Coffee Brewer

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
jaybar

#1: Post by jaybar »

Hi

I love my Chemex and it seems the Ratio is essentially an automated chemex. If that be the case, does it work well as claimed? It is expensive, but if it is easy to use, works well, produces a good cup, then I would consider purchasing one.

I have both significant vision and coordination issues that would make this "automated chemex" type machine, very attractive to me. Have you found it easy to clean and free from the usual coffee machine odor that often develops ?

Thanks

Jay

jbviau
Supporter ★

#2: Post by jbviau »

I could be wrong, but I don't think they've shipped their first batch of machines yet.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

jaybar (original poster)

#3: Post by jaybar (original poster) »

I think you are wrong. They are taking reservations for the second batch of 500. First is sold out. I am looking for comments from owners or persons who have been testers or reviewers.

Jay

ohofmann

#4: Post by ohofmann »

They have not shipped yet. Initial estimate was for May which got pushed back to June; last update on June 18th pushed this back another month to July (

jbviau
Supporter ★

#5: Post by jbviau »

Reviews are coming soon, sounds like:

DouloScott

#6: Post by DouloScott »

They haven't shipped yet, I'm anxiously waiting for 131/500 to be delivered.

Col_Potter

#7: Post by Col_Potter »

I haven't ordered one yet, been on the fence. I love the fact that this looks like it was designed locally, and is being built in the USA (that was the plan anyway right?). Also love the time and temp claims it makes for brewing (tbd by users soon). But honestly, I am put off by the seemingly blatant rip-off of the Chemex carafe. Why not just use a Chemex? I guess any patents are long expired on the Chemex, so legally they can, but I remember back when the Clive stand was duplicated by others in the industry and foul was cried, why is this different? If I am wrong about this, let me know.
The Colonel

jbviau
Supporter ★

#8: Post by jbviau »

Col_Potter wrote:Why not just use a Chemex?
I can't answer the patent/design question, but last I heard a plain old Chemex wouldn't work because the Ratio carafe has a magnet installed on the base that's covered by a layer of cork that activates the heating element. This is according to Ratio's founder, Mark Hellweg, in an email from last August. At the time he said that a low-cost "Chemex conversion kit" might also be offered that would be a cork "coaster" of sorts with the same magnet installed so that a regular Chemex could be used instead of the Ratio carafe, if desired/necessary.

jedovaty

#9: Post by jedovaty »

If using the paper filter, how will one wash it ahead of time?

jaybar (original poster)

#10: Post by jaybar (original poster) »

I don't understand.