Hario V60 kettle mod

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
keno

#1: Post by keno »

This may be the world's simplest mod ever. The standard V60 kettle does not allow you to easily monitor water temperature, like some electric kettles (eg, Bonavita) that have a built in adjustment.

I tried to insert a standard food thermometer through one of the three holes in the lid but it doesn't quite fit. So I drilled out the middle hole using a 5/32" bit, making it slightly larger.

Now the thermometer fits perfectly and you can easily insert it to monitor the temp while heating up and after the boil to determine when to pour.

Chert

#2: Post by Chert »

I did the same with my Takahiro, Taylor digital thermometer lives in the drilled out steam vent.
LMWDP #198

hipporun

#3: Post by hipporun »

I did the same thing when I first got my kettle. So simple yet useful.

keno (original poster)

#4: Post by keno (original poster) »

Ha! Hario stole my kettle mod. Damn them! :x

Hario Introduces V60 Drip Thermometer Kettle Accessory

Arpi

#5: Post by Arpi »

The chip inside the thermometer could melt with induction cooktops (not sure if it uses iron alloys).

OldmatefromOZ

#6: Post by OldmatefromOZ »

Hah yeah I thought the same thing when I saw the new thermo lid from Hario.

Have been using a digital thermo in a drilled out centre hole exactly the same for a while. I use induction and don't leave it in while it is coming to a boil. I actually tried it once and the temp reading started scrambling and jumping back and forth from F to C , so I quickly turned it off.