Hario v60 center vs. circular pour

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
squaremile

#1: Post by squaremile »

I know this has been visited before, but I'm curious to hear from Hario v60 users on their experiences with doing a circular pour which produces a flat bed of ground, and a center pour, which produces a more concave bed a grounds.

My cups with the circular pour seem brighter earlier in drinking and clearer in profile overall, but are less consistent cup to cup, and the center pour produces a more muted profile early that rounds out as it cools. My assumption is that the latter is more evenly extracted and more repeatable since there is less movement, although the cups are a touch less interesting.

Any other takes on this?

Intrepid510

#2: Post by Intrepid510 »

Well I almost always use the flat bed circular pour method for my cups, because I feel it produces a better cup. To me it tastes brighter and sweeter. It is a pain tho in my opinion to sit there over the brewer for 3 minutes or just focusing in on keep the water level high enough to just saturate the grounds and no more. I have never seen it done in a shop that way myself.

I am interested to know what size are you using and your normal brew amounts? I tend to do 16 ounces in a 02 and feel like I might get better results in a 01 since there would be less agitation from the pour height.

squaremile (original poster)

#3: Post by squaremile (original poster) »

Interesting... I'm using a 01 and I only brew about 6oz cups right now at a time, 12g of coffee. It is definitely an easier smooth pour using the 01.

picklesman

#4: Post by picklesman »

For me it depends on the dose. I also use 12g for 6 oz / 180ml and at such a small dose, I don't have much room to go away from the centre before hitting the sides.

When doing 24-36 grams then there's much more room to move around and spread the water out some more.

Also, at higher doses I use a coarser grind, which makes keeping the bed flat much easier. With finer grinds it's hard to avoid having a well in the middle.