Grind size for French press [photo]

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
dogjamboree

#1: Post by dogjamboree »

It's been so long since I've made french press coffee (or done a cupping grind) that I'm having a hard time remembering what the grinds are supposed to look like, visually. Please take a look at these grinds, courtesy of the new Lido 2, and let me know what you think. I know there are some pics on the web to compare with, but I'd rather get opinions here.

BTW, because I was only grinding a few beans, the grinds you're seeing are less consistent than they'd be with a full cup, but still, not bad!

Thanks in advance!

Frank

endlesscycles

#2: Post by endlesscycles »

Half the thickness of a nickel or slightly smaller is about right, as a starting point.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

Advertisement
another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim »

SCAA Cupping Protocol wrote:Grind particle size should be slightly coarser than typically used for paper filter drip brewing, with 70% to 75% of the particles passing through a U.S. Standard size 20 mesh sieve.
This is, I think, finer than your photo. Most current French Press instructions also use this finer grind standard, much closer to drip than in the past.

Marshall is giving you a very old school standard, from the 1970s; whereas in most of his recent posts he advocates very fine grinding with burrs designed to grind spices in order to achieve higher extactions.
Jim Schulman

dogjamboree (original poster)

#4: Post by dogjamboree (original poster) »

Thanks, got it -- return the Lido and get an EK43 for french press. I should probably grab a VST while I'm at it? :)

redkiosk

#5: Post by redkiosk »

dogjamboree wrote: -- return the Lido and get an EK43 for french press.
...or buy 17 LIDO 2 and give them to your friends! Keep the VST though. :lol:

endlesscycles

#6: Post by endlesscycles »

another_jim wrote:This is, I think, finer than your photo. Most current French Press instructions also use this finer grind standard, much closer to drip than in the past.

Marshall is giving you a very old school standard, from the 1970s; whereas in most of his recent posts he advocates very fine grinding with burrs designed to grind spices in order to achieve higher extactions.
Perhaps. I mention the nickel because it's there. Half a nickle is 975um. I actually advocate 800um for both percolation and immersion brews, as a starting point. I don't think that's very fine. I have calipers beside my grinder. He has a nickle, for certain.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC