Grind size & Extraction - Verve Coffee Video Confusion?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
MSH

#1: Post by MSH »

Verve Coffee is putting out a new set of videos called the "Street Smarts" series. In the video below in the early part (0:14-0:26 of video) To summarize Chris Baca states..""coarser grind = faster extraction and finer grind = slower extraction"
I have always though the exact opposite was true since for a given/constant amount of coffee the smaller grinds provide more surface area vs larger grinds so the extraction rate is faster?
Curious about other folks take on this

http://blog.vervecoffeeroasters.com/201 ... g-for-v60/

JmanEspresso

#2: Post by JmanEspresso »

Im gonna go ahead and put an assumption out there, but I think he's using the word extraction different then we take it to mean here, meaning us coffee scientists.

I think hes simply referring to the time it takes to brew. Coarser grind=faster flow=faster extraction.

Wrong word usage.

You are correct.. The grounds will give up their soluble solids faster if the grind is finer. More surface area for the water to wash the solubles out the coffee. Worth noting that this is why I think the V60 is so awesome, because you can brew so many different ways with a simple cone, whereas the more standard pourover, like the Bonmac/Beehouse/Melita, you're kinda locked into one general grind size to get the right extraction rate with the flow allowed with those cones. Both good brew methods, V60 trumps them in versatility.

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by Peppersass »

I agree with JmanEspresso. I believe they're referring to the flow rate, not the amount extracted from the coffee.

Actually, with any given grind, there are two factors that influence the amount of dissolved solids extracted from the grounds: surface area and fines. Finer particles expose more surface for the water to contact, and more fines are produced. The fines retard the flow, which in turn increases the contact time.

TheSunInsideYou

#4: Post by TheSunInsideYou »

Yep. I third the thought that he's referring to the quickness in which the water is leaving the coffee. You're completely right in thinking that the coffee extracts more quickly at a finer grind.

-Dave-
Caffeine is proof that God loves us.

MSH (original poster)

#5: Post by MSH (original poster) »

Thanks for the catch Jman (and everyone else for chiming in)...that makes sense now!

Cheers!

LaDan

#6: Post by LaDan »

Yeah, he is taking about the DURATION of the extraction, for a same amount of coffee, to produce 1 cup of V60. Saying that optimal would be 3 minutes, and if you grind too fine or too coarse the duration of the extraction will be slower or faster. He never mentioned extraction yield, rate, ratio, etc. Just "extraction", keeping it to simple basic explanation.

MSH (original poster)

#7: Post by MSH (original poster) replying to LaDan »

Yup..Got it now. Appreciate the clarification!