The French Press reinvented - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
MWJB

#11: Post by MWJB »

Randy G. wrote:Personally, the traditional press pot design allows so much in the way of fines through the screen into the coffee I quit using them years ago. I understand that there are those who like that, but the muddiness it adds to the flavor and the care that must be taken not to take that last sip preclude it as a brewing method in my home. The Espro press took care of all those problems though.
Yes, difficult to eradicate all the silt, but you can reduce it dramatically with a bit of care (James Hoffmann's tip about pouring through the mesh rather than plunging helps, as can adding the water first then coffee, finer grind), I never have as much as a layer of silt at the bottom of the cup, just a very light dusting visible as you get to the end. Also discarding the very first part of the pour (40-100ml depending on brew size) can help clarity by reducing the oil content.

kelsey (original poster)

#12: Post by kelsey (original poster) »

Randy G. wrote:If you are considering creating a marketable device, this is certainly a factor to be addressed.
The Espro press took care of all those problems though.
I think I need an Espro press.

I wonder if there would be a way to come up with finer mesh for a traditional press screen? I'm going to try stacking two screens to see if that makes any difference. I do use a much finer grind and pour the coffee in after the water so I end up with less mud. I am also using the inverted plunger so that cuts down on sediment quite much too.

Randy, you have a valid point about the marketability aspect. Right now, I'm just having fun using it at home, but thought others could benefit from my discovery.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by JohnB. »

kschendel wrote:Well, the press version leaves out that all-important siphon step: "is today the day that this expensive and delicate piece of glassware is going to implode and shatter?" I agree that a siphon is no more complicated, in terms of what steps you take, but surely a press variant is going to be a lot less fiddly and a lot more robust..

I'd say that the opposite is true. My Hario Syphon brewers are made from Borosilicate glass & are extremely durable. That Bodum Chambord glass cracks if you look at it crosseyed! I would never consider putting a butane burner under mine.
LMWDP 267

Randy G.

#14: Post by Randy G. »

kelsey wrote:I think I need an Espro press.
Take a look at the comments about them here in HB. Many very satisfied users. it offers all the benefits of full immersion and the double screens not only filter out all the offending fines but also allow a finer grind than the traditional press. The vessel is a double-wall, stainless steel vacuum container and even the filter portion has a silicone edge seal. After plunging, the screen do such a good job of isolating the grounds from the coffee that it virtually stops the extraction process. Check my review of the Espro Press (originally written when the first version became available, and the first official review according to Espro). There is a tip there that even the Espro folks found interesting and helpful:

"Because of the design of the filter, there can be a bit of coffee left in the bottom of the press after pouring. An easy way to extract the last few drops is this: After the pour seems complete, and while still holding the press over your cup in the pour position, pull the plunger about half way out, then push it back in. The filter will act as a pump and the air will push most of the rest of the liquid coffee into your cup while the excellent filter keeps the grounds in the press."
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

kelsey (original poster)

#15: Post by kelsey (original poster) »

Has anyone seen the jetboil press made for camping? An acquaintance of mine has of these- pretty nifty. It is a stainless press mated to a camp stove. I think it would be cool to make a similar product for home use- preferably out of glass. I'm just not having good luck with a butane burner underneath those bodums- they like to crack. Anyone know of tougher glass beakers designed to withstand higher heat? Or a single walled stainless press?

day

#16: Post by day »

I feel like of your goal is to master each type of preparation you need to work on methods with the press in regular table form. Work on preheat initial settings grind size steep time, slurry stirring etc and really master that so you can actually use a french press anytime anywhere to its fullest potential- and understand its limitations so when eventually working on an actual production model you understand everything fully.

By inverting and getting a double screen you are turning into some kind of crappy aero press, and by balancing it in a butane range its like...this is not practical and really does not benefit here over radiant anyway so in not seeing the logic. All wothout ever actually learning to use a french press.

I can keep my temp acceptable with care on french press. if so inclined just place it on a simmer setting radiant cooktop and keep it at the right temp without boiling. The main thing is working to improve flavor in french press conditions. Though double wall would be my preference and one day my possession.

Sounds like a moka pot should be your next method though. (Just dont cut holes in it and put a v60 over it ;) jk man i totally understand where you are coming from but had to throw in my perspective.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

Bikeminded

#17: Post by Bikeminded »

Damn. Just ordered an Espro Press. This site is a bad influence on my wallet.

day

#18: Post by day »

Oh my... I am with you tom...
Since buying my pavoni i have decided i need a new grinder aero press moka pot better home roasting equipment ( those are the ones i havent bought anyway many more i did buy...) niw i have to add the espro press to the list as well. That looks delicious.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

TheLaxPlayer

#19: Post by TheLaxPlayer »

This venture seems misguided... In a siphon the flame only heats the bowl full of water. In the setup you created it heats the vessel of coffee unless I'm misunderstanding something. You're going to cook your coffee.

jpender

#20: Post by jpender »

I fooled around a little last year with using a Nissan vacuum bottle for brewing coffee. I was able to match the even temperature profile of a siphon with it. It didn't have any built in filter or plunger but it had excellent temperature stability. I'm not really in the market for a French press but I'm curious: does anyone make a stainless vacuum bottle press?