Finding the best glue to fix a gorgeous old Cona Rex

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
beev

#1: Post by beev »

I posted the following on Too Much Coffee over a month ago:
http://www.toomuchcoffee.com/index.php? ... pic&t=9415

Basically, I'm trying to fix up an old Cona Rex and I need a little help. I've got it all cleaned up and bought some wicks and some methylated spirit for fuel. The only thing remaining is to glue the rubber seal onto the funnel. I've been searching and searching trying to find the right glue to do this but I can't find the information anywhere. After a lot of research, the best I can come up with is Loctite Clear Silicone Waterproof Sealant (908570). This seems to be only available in the US (I'm in the UK).

I'm sure it shouldn't be so difficult to find some glue for this job. I'm not even sure if the Loctite stuff is the right thing to use. Does anyone have any experience of this type of thing, or any suggestions for what type of glue to use and where to get it (UK supplier if possible)?

stefano65
Sponsor

#2: Post by stefano65 »

I buy couple of product from this company
they might have also what you are looking for
http://www.loxeal.com/
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

keepitsimple

#3: Post by keepitsimple »

The modern Cona seals aren't glued. They are designed to be a friction fit. However, on older ones I agree it does look like glue. I don't know whether that is the way they used to be fitted, or whether over time the rubber hardens, and what seems to be a type of hardened glue forms underneath it.

If it is a UK or German manufactured globe, you should find that a modern replacement seal designed for the model C's and D's will fit. If it is a French one, then it would probably have a cork seal, and a narrower tube, as they were mostly designed for cloth type filters.

I have 2 Rex models with rubber seals, and one with a cork seal (french version).

You might try contacting classicona.co.uk as they will be very helpful. They sell replacement seals for current Conas, and helped me with seals for a Rex too. You might usefully measure the outside diameter of the glass tube, as that would help determine whether a modern one will do the job. If you can't get one that is a nice tight fit, I think I'd probably use general purpose transparent silicone sealant from wickes or B&Q etc.. It won't come into contact with the water anyway.

I don't have any business connection with classicona, but have bought from them.

On your other questions (sorry I did not see your post in toomuch coffee)

There should be a brass tank under the machine which acts as the meths reservoir. This is presumably what you are referring to as being full of old powder and ash ? Never had to clean one out, but it might be just the residue from evaporated meths, so possibly a good shake around with fresh meths might remove it ?

A pack of wicks will last you a lifetime.

Can't recall a rubber seal under the spirit burner - I'd be a bit surprised if there was one because of the heat. From memory, there is a threaded brass collar around the wick part which unscrews it from the tank underneath, and holds it all in the main frame. So - if there is a rubber seal, I think that just tightening this collar will hold it all in place. I'd have to take mine to bits to be absolutely sure, and there's no guarantee that they didn't change the design while it was in production, or do it differently depending on where it was made.

These are very elegant classic mid-century designs. I hope you get it sorted out.

beev (original poster)

#4: Post by beev (original poster) »

Thanks very much for replying in such detail.

I'll post a photo of the whole thing at some point. The funnel is with a family member at the moment.

I've also bought from classicona before. I'll measure the funnel and get in touch with them about the seal.

I rinsed out the fuel tank with white spirit.

Here's a photo of the spirit burner.

The black bit certainly seems like a very hard rubber. It could almost be Bakelite, but I'm pretty sure Bakelite is harder. I could do with giving this even more of a clean, though I'm not sure what would be the best thing to polish it up with.

beev (original poster)

#5: Post by beev (original poster) »

Here it is in all its glory. I haven't tried it yet as the glue on the seal needs another few hours to dry. Robert from classicona suggested some stuff called Serious Glue, which is hopefully going to solve the problem...

keepitsimple

#6: Post by keepitsimple »

Looks very nice, and the paintwork is in pretty good nick too. Glad you got it sorted. Is it an early model ? Reason I ask is that the bottom globe holder sort of slides into a sloping slot, rather than what I think is the later version of it, which has a kind of "hook" design the similar to the current Cona Models (although still aluminium on the Rex). Your version always looks like a better and easier solution, so I don't know why or when they changed it.

Did you get the top globe seal to friction fit OK, or is that what you have to glue in place ?

(The bottom globe neck seal I am guessing is a bit of inner tube ;o)

I just scored yet another Rex from a well known auction site. Was a steal (I reckon). Now I must stop ! but they are such elegant devices, and this is a black one and I don't have a black one. Just fingers crossed that it arrives intact (from France). It is the french version, so will have a narrow tube on the top globe, and a cork seal. It will probably be too narrow for a glass filter to fit, and will have the metal/cloth type.

beev (original poster)

#7: Post by beev (original poster) »

Yes, the paintwork is decent though not perfect unfortunately. I don't know anything about it's history, but yes the funnel sits in a nice curved slot and it's a very attractive design.

I glued the funnel seal in place with the Serious Glue and it seems to be working well. All in all, a good result for something that probably hasn't been used for decades. The coffee tastes lovely (of course).

I'm getting dark marks on the bottom of the globe after I brew. Is this normal, or is it maybe a sign that I'm using too much wick/flame?

It also had this lid with it. It doesn't look like it's part of the original kit. Maybe someone has added it at some point, but I'm not sure why...

keepitsimple

#8: Post by keepitsimple »

I don't think the glass stopper is original. Cona did at one time produce a plastic one for the current range of brewers, although I don't think it is still made.

One of my Rex models had fairly poor paint - stained chipped and bubbled, so I decided to respray it in as close a colour as I could get. It is a kind of almond white, and looks very good and close to the original colour. Provided you prepare it well (I used wet and dry) I found it was easy to do even with just a normal spraycan, although because of the shape of it you do need several thin coats to avoid any dripping.

This is a pic I posted of it some time ago as part of another thread. (This one is an electric version)

Which Cory Vacuum pot to buy?

If the pot is getting blackened, it normally means the flame is producing some soot. Meths is generally fairly clean burning, but sometimes it happens. Only advice I can give is to trim the wick so the flame burns as blue as possible.

beev (original poster)

#9: Post by beev (original poster) »

Nice picture. Looks like a very good job on the respray. Do you have photos of your other ones?

That sounds like good advice wrt the wick. My flame has a lot of yellow so I'll give it a trim.

keepitsimple

#10: Post by keepitsimple »

Thanks for the compliment ! It is only off the shelf spraypaint from I think B&Q. Eggshell finish, which I think looks better than full gloss.

Well, the new addition arrived yesterday (from France). Very happy. Looks hardly used, but obviously stored away for ages. Immaculate black paintwork. Had the problem I've had before that the jaws that hold the bottom pot wouldn't open. Needed a bit of cussing, a bit of WD40 (actually quite a lot) some patience, and eventually gentle persuasion - bearing in mind the glass - but got it all open, cleaned up and it looks fab. I bought one ages ago which arrived with the bottom glass broken, and the handle bit impossible to open, to the point that the metal gave way before it would open ! So I have a spare "frame" and top pot, but it did have a good working electric heater, which is what I really wanted it for, and a "deal" was done with the seller over the breakage.

I took the reservoir and burner etc. out of the new one to clean it all up, and the design of this one (and the other spirit heater one I have) is a bit different from yours. The reservoir has a short threaded pipe soldered to the top which pokes up through the hole in the base, and the aluminium burner/cover part fits over it with a threaded washer which screws down onto the pipe to hold it all tight. There isn't any type of bakelite or rubber gasket. Possibly it's because both the spirit ones I have were made in France to a different design.

You asked before about cleaning the burner part. It's aluminium, so any suitable metal polish such as Peek will be OK to finish it, but you might use some fine abrasive paper to start with if it needs some heavier treatment. I find the inside of the covers generally to be fairly grubby, and have used a small wire brush on a drill to clean them out.

I'll get a family photo done one of these days !