"Filterless" dripper/pourover

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
sludge7

#1: Post by sludge7 »

Now that I've got the grinder issue sorted...

Am looking to buy a pourover dripper, and have been looking at some that don't require paper filters -- such as http://www.kitchencraft.co.uk/brands/le ... escription and http://hario.co.uk/products/cafeor-dripper-02-black. Does anybody have any suggestions/reccomendations about the best paperless dripper?

This is something I will be using at work and am just trying to keep the amount of clutter and stuff I need at work to a minimum, so if I don't need to carry around a box of filters as well...

Intrepid510

#2: Post by Intrepid510 »

That is probably a good choice for what you are after or a hario cone and a able kone filter.

However do think of ease of clean up with a paper filter just tose and rinse. The metal filter will taie more work to clean.

Advertisement
Boldjava

#3: Post by Boldjava »

..KONE by Able.
+1.
-----
LMWDP #339

MWJB

#4: Post by MWJB »

Don't buy the Kitchencraft dripper.

The Hario Cafeor is one of my favourite pourovers.

There's also the Swissgold KF300, I tend to use it without the perforated reservoir (and with a pouring kettle), but see the value for a low hassle cup.

TomC
Team HB

#5: Post by TomC »

I'm not aware of any site sponser currently selling it, so there's no harm in suggesting an alternate, the Driver Coffee Filter works similar to the Kone, albeit an even finer mesh filtration method. It may be a bit tricker to clean. But it's only $40 with free shipping at Amazon.

I believe when Henry mentioned it a month or so ago, it was only available via Taiwanese websites and at a higher price. Now it's at a relative bargain. I ordered one.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

yakster
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster »

I'm not sure if you've considered that going "Filterless" at work also means more cleanup and finding a place to dump the coffee grounds. This could be a challenge, but often times it's not that big a deal. How much coffee are you looking to brew?

If you're looking for a single cup, consider an AeroPress and a metal filter like the Able Fine DISK. The advantage with this brewer is that it's quick and after you're done brewing, you can slide the DISK to the side, scraping most of the grinds off and then pop the puck into the trash. You'll just have to rinse and clean the DISK, but it won't be that bad. If you used the paper filters (they're small and wouldn't take much space at work) it's even easier to clean up.

For larger cups, you could go with an Impress brew mug. The cleanup is a little more involved but you end up with more coffee and your brewer is the cup. I'm sending the grounds down the drain at work with the garbage disposal.

If you want to share, consider a Kone filter maybe in a Chemex or in a V60 brewed into a coffee server. You could even use an Espro press or other stainless steel press to brew with. I think that this steps up the amount of effort required for cleanup, though.

Right now I have a little Hario V60-1 filter cone at work and paper filters, along with a Hot Shot water dispenser, but I'm finding that it's a little too involved and don't really use it much.

My ultimate "filterless" coffee setup was at my last job where I brought in my La Peppina espresso machine and was pulling shots in my cubicle. It was nice, and I figured out how to minimize the work by using large plastic cups to transport the dump water to the nearest sink, but that's a story for a different thread.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

beer&mathematics

#7: Post by beer&mathematics »

I found the Aeropress to be a pita at work and would make a huge mess. Easiest for me was to use a V60 and paper filters.

Another option I liked was to bring my cloth (nel) dripper filters made for the Hario Woodneck and use that with the plastic v60. But like others mentioned, cloth filters require more work and access to a sink.

Im goimg to buy an Impress soon and this looks like another great paperless option and it doubles as a thermos.
LMWDP #431

Advertisement
Eastsideloco

#8: Post by Eastsideloco »

yakster wrote:If you're looking for a single cup, consider an AeroPress and a metal filter like the Able Fine DISK. The advantage with this brewer is that it's quick and after you're done brewing, you can slide the DISK to the side, scraping most of the grinds off and then pop the puck into the trash. You'll just have to rinse and clean the DISK, but it won't be that bad. If you used the paper filters (they're small and wouldn't take much space at work) it's even easier to clean up.
+1. Aeropress is fast and compact. You can brew a cup in a fraction of a time that other brewers require.
With the paper filters, you can eject the puck without having to handle anything. The paper filters don't take up much space and are sold in large quantities. With a metal filter and good technique, you can peal off the metal filter for cleaning and eject a more or less intact puck. The brewer itself can be rinsed clean in seconds. Brewers with reusable filters seem to be more of a PITA to keep clean than the Aeropress.

sludge7 (original poster)

#9: Post by sludge7 (original poster) »

Thanks to everybody for your helpful thoughts. Am leaning towards the Hario Cafeor because:

I have access to a bin and a sink, so I think it's easy enough to dump the grinds in the bin and rinse under a tap. In addition to not wanting to faff about with paper filters, I also don't like the extra waste they cause. If I get motivated enough, I may actually bring in a plastic lidded container I can empty my grounds into and then take them home and compost them... :?

The Swissgold and the Driver both look good but too many parts. The Hario seems simpler...

I am very impressed with the Impress brew mug -- not seen that before! I've got an Aladdin Aveo at the moment which I brew a cupful before I leave the house and take that with me for my first drink at work, and I contemplated just using that throughout the day but it is a pain to clean... The Aveo has a nylon mesh filter and then a rubber gasket round the edge of it which is what keeps the grinds from getting into your coffee after you've plunged it, and I'm sure this will one day fail/perish, at which point I will replace with the Impress now that I know it exists!

The Aeropress -- I know everybody loves it, but every time I look at it I just think FIDDLY and too many bits... Maybe one of these days...

I'm only making coffee for myself as everybody else in the office is perfectly happy to drink Tesco Value Instant! So two or three cups a day with the Cafeor seems like the simplest option...

therabidweasel

#10: Post by therabidweasel »

IMO the aeropress is anything but fiddly. I can and have made cups sitting in economy on a plane. With a hand grinder and an able filter disk I can grind, brew, clean, and stow in 3 minutes flat. It's compact and difficult to damage. That said, I am a man and have sizable hands. I am not sure my wife could aeropress into a paper cup.

I brew using every method under the sun and it is by far the easiest to clean, is very tolerant of grind and water temp and can be used to make anything from lungo type extraction ratio all the way to k-cup extractions. Did I mention they are cheap? I have never used the paper filters for them.