Espresso shots in beer or spirits - suggestions?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
opother

#1: Post by opother »

I have often put espresso shots in my beer and find it really good. It makes light beers taste dark as well as enhances the richness and often the complexity of both light and dark beers.

I just brewed a 21 gram shot of Oslo Odin Blend at 95C on Brewtus. About 28 seconds later and 1 1/2 ozs I had a rich thick ristretto shot that tasted like the coffee with only a slight hint of bitter. Grinder used was the Versalab which by the way has not been stalling ever since I put the original Versalab burrs back in.

I decided to be a little lazy in these wee early hours of the morning and used the autotamp which has literally collected dust (no real difference whether I use it or hand tamp) That thing was made for a busy cafe but I like gadgets so.....

I poured it in a 12 oz cup filled with Becks (the new non German American made imitation of Becks should I say) and in this case turned a mediocre beer into something more interesting to palate. I have done this with Guinness Extra Stout and Draught which are great beers on their own to add extra flavors and many other beers I can't recall off hand. I have not yet to had a bad result.

Maybe I should also sprinkle a few find grinds as well. I have tasted some beers brewed using coffee and mine taste better. I guess fresh coffee is still key in this case.

I would be interested in the best coffees and beers/spirts to use for this.

As far as answering the question whether drinking enough of these will lift you up and then slam you on your #ss I don't know because I never drank enough of them in a row. I am in it for the taste but maybe someone can chime in and answer that question.

Any suggestions or experiences from the expert palates would be welcome.

cmin

#2: Post by cmin »

I've tried it, and thought it was disgusting lol (maybe disgusting is a harsh words, more like it kinda ruins a well balanced beer). There's no way just dropping a shot in a beer is going to be as good as an excellent Stout/Porter/Imperial made with coffee during, like Founders Breakfast Stout, Terrapin Wake N' Bake etc or about 5 dozen others I could name. Usually during beer process they add grounds during secondary, or some make cold steep with the coffee to add etc, couple various ways breweries and home brewers do this.

Funny thing is I love Stouts and Porters but hate Guinness. And my family knows Desmond Guinness, so when we were in Ireland years ago hung out with him at his home (except it's actually like a medieval castle not a home haha, Lexlip). Guinness there is also completely different from here, super thick and syrupy and room temp generally, can order it cold but they almost act offended if you do.

I have a home brew kit at home and thinking about doing a coffee one next go around. Should be awesome with fresh beans.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#3: Post by cannonfodder »

That is called a Caffe Correcto, usually a shot in some Grappa.
Dave Stephens

iginfect

#4: Post by iginfect »

When I lived in Angers, France, where Cointreau was made, cafe Cointreau was a local favorite, altho I suspect Triple Sec was substituted being much cheaper.

Marvin

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JohnB. »

opother wrote: I poured it in a 12 oz cup filled with Becks (the new non German American made imitation of Becks should I say) and in this case turned a mediocre beer into something more interesting to palate.
Some folks aren't too happy about the change: http://www.beveragedaily.com/Manufactur ... r-millions

With all the great American microbrews available why bother drinking fake Becks? Try one of the Founders Breakfast Stouts that cmin mentioned & you'll be spoiled for life.
LMWDP 267

erik82

#6: Post by erik82 »

I tried it and put a 30gr espressoblend double in 60gr of Struise Black Albert. First I made the espresso and cooled it in the fridge for an hour with the top of the shotglass covered by foil. The taste was fine but I liked the beer and the coffee better separate so haven't done it.

TheJavaCup77

#7: Post by TheJavaCup77 »

"Caffé Corretto" literally means "Coffee Corrected" in English and It's made by adding a measure of hard liquor to espresso shots.

Hard liquor are alcohol drinks which are clean and are certified 40 Proof or higher and therefore Vodka is the most used type for it has clean (almost water like taste) so that it doesn't ruin espresso by adding tastes of its own to the coffee other than dilution is concerned.

Have a good day gentleman,
Regards,
(Rayner Tan)
-A professional coffee expert and lover for as long as he lives or shall I say I live.
Top that off with PERIOD! :D
It could be as complex or as simple as you want. It's the choice of the barista.

bostonbuzz

#8: Post by bostonbuzz »

It Italy it will be sambuca by default.
LMWDP #353

Mach

#9: Post by Mach »

I'm having a hard time coming up with a beer that I think would be improved by a shot of espresso. I'm not going to waste a bottle trying it, but I've got some Brooklyn Brewery Monster barleywine that I suspect would actually work pretty well. But better? I seriously doubt it. Oh, hell, okay, I'll drink one in the next day or two and save enough to do a little experiment.

cmin

#10: Post by cmin »

I wouldn't waste BBM Barleywine doing this lol. Like our post above, only certain beers go with coffee, and their actually done together, not just brewed a beer and thrown a shot in (which I've done and ruined the beer lol). They do it in various ways and at various stages of the brew cycle. Night and day difference. But imo only stouts/porters go with coffee. I just was on a trip and had Monday Night Brewings Bed Head which is a Coffee IPA, gross, I couldn't even finish the bottle and neither could wife, was like a $12 bottle too.

Founders Breakfast Stout is pry the best example of beer and coffee around. Since you like Brooklyn Brew, try their Black Opps or Chocolate Stout, their great. They had one really good coffee beer, Intensified, but think only brewed at certain times? They used Stumptown beans. Terrapins Wake n' Bake is excellent too, one of my faves, they use Jittery Joes beans in GA.