Driver Metal Coffee Filter - Page 7

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
TomC
Team HB

#61: Post by TomC »

rawman wrote:How the heck did you even get that on there?

Yes, it's in the right place.

Yes, it's nearly impossible for one person to put it back on, and it will easily pop off within a day of use if you don't glue it in place. Four drops of super glue in each quarter of the gasket and its now permanently affixed.

Honestly though, I haven't yet discovered a necessity for it to begin with, unless, like I said in an earlier reply, you want to float the whole brewer in the top of a Chemex, and want to seat it dead level. But if you just use the filter basket, it fits in a Chemex well enough to extract properly.

I've still been setting the whole thing right on top of my 600ml Yama server. And it's the only way I've been brewing coffee for the past month now.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

achipman

#62: Post by achipman »

TomC wrote:Yes, it's in the right place.

Yes, it's nearly impossible for one person to put it back on, and it will easily pop off within a day of use if you don't glue it in place. Four drops of super glue in each quarter of the gasket and its now permanently affixed.

Honestly though, I haven't yet discovered a necessity for it to begin with, unless, like I said in an earlier reply, you want to float the whole brewer in the top of a Chemex, and want to seat it dead level. But if you just use the filter basket, it fits in a Chemex well enough to extract properly.

I've still been setting the whole thing right on top of my 600ml Yama server. And it's the only way I've been brewing coffee for the past month now.
Rawman.. it was not easy, but with a little focus I got er done in about 30 seconds. No big deal. :D I haven't had any trouble with it popping off... yet... I also don't really see the point of it other than to protect edges of the Chemex?? No instructions were shipped with it so I don't know what THEY intended it for.

Tom, On brewing with the Driver:

I noticed the flow is exponentially greater than with my Chemex paper filters. The resulting cup is just as clean, but doesn't seem to have the same strength. I'm guessing I need to adjust my recipe due to the reduced steep time?

Any thoughts?
"Another coffee thing??? I can't keep up with you... next you'll be growing coffee in our back yard." - My wife

Advertisement
TomC
Team HB

#63: Post by TomC »

achipman wrote: Tom, On brewing with the Driver:

I noticed the flow is exponentially greater than with my Chemex paper filters. The resulting cup is just as clean, but doesn't seem to have the same strength. I'm guessing I need to adjust my recipe due to the reduced steep time?

Any thoughts?

Don't be afraid to grind finer.

I've stopped using it in conjunction with my Brazen, and just switched back to using my Tiamo kettle where I can really control the fine points of the pour. In a few days, I'll put together a simple method I've come up with that really makes it shine beautifully, with enhanced clarity, and amplified sweetness. It's such a "transparent" brewer. It allows me to assess my home roasts so well, it hides nothing.

I wish I could have bought stock in the company before raving about them on here or on Amazon.

Javier

#64: Post by Javier »

I just ordered mine, from Amazon (seller "Trader Chaz"). Looking forward to it.
LMWDP #115

achipman

#65: Post by achipman »

TomC wrote:Don't be afraid to grind finer.

I've stopped using it in conjunction with my Brazen, and just switched back to using my Tiamo kettle where I can really control the fine points of the pour. In a few days, I'll put together a simple method I've come up with that really makes it shine beautifully, with enhanced clarity, and amplified sweetness. It's such a "transparent" brewer. It allows me to assess my home roasts so well, it hides nothing.

I wish I could have bought stock in the company before raving about them on here or on Amazon.
Thanks, Tom. Looking forward to your breakdown on the methods.

I'm wondering if they have a larger model? (Quite hard to control the mess factor when dealing with 65+ grams of coffee. They only thing I can figure is to fashion some sort of extension that the the grounds don't overflow during bloom.

Additional note... there doesn't seem to be a problem with too fast of a flow when using that much coffee (65+ g) which makes the steep time almost 4:00 total. The only problem is the overflowing coffee grounds which makes the cup a little gravely.. :)
"Another coffee thing??? I can't keep up with you... next you'll be growing coffee in our back yard." - My wife

TomC
Team HB

#66: Post by TomC »

Holy smokes! That's a large batch! The largest I do is 25g. But mainly because I'm the only one in my apartment.

achipman

#67: Post by achipman replying to TomC »

:D Brewing for my wife and I...

I also have to leave for work so I brew a morning's worth before leaving. If I stayed home I'd definitely go for smaller batches (I do on the weekends most times unless brewing for guests).

Advertisement
chang00 (original poster)

#68: Post by chang00 (original poster) »

Generally the coffee to water ratio is approximately 6g coffee/100g water. For 65g of coffee, that is 1083g (about one liter or 33 oz) of brew, which is quite a bit! I don't know of any hand pour cone that is designed for this amount! :D

The Driver filter works best for me between 12g to 24g of coffee, like TomC mentioned of 25g.

achipman

#69: Post by achipman replying to chang00 »

It all depends on what kind of body you're looking for in the cup. I typically pour about 950g water for 65-70g of coffee. This is almost enough coffee for my wife and I. I would like to have a little more than that to carry me through the day, but I'm limited by the size of my Chemex and the Driver cone. FWIW... 1 liter of brew only yields about 3 (5 oz) cups for each of us.

FYI... the Kone by Able is more than capable of 75-80g of coffee and does quite fine. I just didn't like the mouthfeel it gave.

achipman

#70: Post by achipman »

I was able to find a sweet spot for pour speed and dose size for the Driver. FOR ME... this is about 65 to 70g with a medium to medium fine grind and I've just gotten better at pouring slowly.

I believe my change of grinder is also helping... new guy in the front... little guy to the back... :mrgreen: