Driver Metal Coffee Filter - Page 6

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
farmroast

#51: Post by farmroast »

rama wrote:I wonder if that necessitates more stirring. In my experience a faster draining often causes channeling, which could result in poorer extraction if you didn't address this pre-draining with more stirring or something.
I've been using a fairly fine grind with Filtropa filters and the Clever. Certainly will have to play around with the Driver when it arrives. Will then do some tests with the Mojo too.
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

TomC
Team HB

#52: Post by TomC »

One point I'll add is after the three week period I was using this guy daily, even though it looked completely clean, you can't tell unless you hold it up to a very bright light. I had noticed that there was a slight bit of silt creeping into the carafe and cup, and once I cleaned it in Jo-Glo, it's back to normal again.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

farmroast

#53: Post by farmroast »

Maybe after it has dried before next use a brushing and then the warming rinse might help keep that down between thorough cleaning
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

chang00 (original poster)

#54: Post by chang00 (original poster) »

Some clarification. Although Driver and Clever combination works, it produces coffee that has silt just like other metal filters. I don't know the reason, but the Driver subjectively works best as a traditional filter device without full immersion.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#55: Post by yakster »

I had the same experience with an Able Kone and a Clever, full immersion and metal filters aren't ideal and more fines get through than when these filters are used for a pour-over.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

TomC
Team HB

#56: Post by TomC »

It makes sense, since the grinds themselves will act as a filtration bed for fines to trap in during percolation. Whereas in immersion, the ultra fine particles even finer than the mesh of the filter, could pass thru in a liquid matrix.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Smokin Joe

#57: Post by Smokin Joe »

TomC wrote:They went up $5 on Amazon. So, for the time being, the best deal is the eBay seller with free shipping, but it may take a little while to arrive from Taiwan.
Ordered mine on March 17th, shipped on the 18th, and arrived today on the 22nd.

Impressive!

achipman

#58: Post by achipman »

Mine finally arrived the other day and I was surprised at the size.. I guess I was assuming it would be relatively similar to the Kone... It's a lot smaller. It says 2 to 4 cups capacity but with the expansion of the bloom it's very easy to make a big mess! :shock:

The cup is decidedly cleaner than the results I was getting when I had the Kone. (yeah I know that might have been down to the lower consistency in grinder)

I'm wondering if I put it together correctly... I wasn't sure where the silicone gasket thing was supposed to go.
"Another coffee thing??? I can't keep up with you... next you'll be growing coffee in our back yard." - My wife

achipman

#59: Post by achipman »

Success or Fail?
"Another coffee thing??? I can't keep up with you... next you'll be growing coffee in our back yard." - My wife

rawman

#60: Post by rawman »

How the heck did you even get that on there?
LMWDP #189