Do folks who use a Chemex prefer square or circle filters?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
jaybar

#1: Post by jaybar »

Do you prefer either the folded square or circle filters and why?

Jay

Eastsideloco

#2: Post by Eastsideloco »

I've used the bleached and unbleached "square" filters from Chemex. Most coffee nerds seem to prefer the bleached option and report that it results in a cleaner cup. The shape of the paper shouldn't make any difference in the cup.

jaybar (original poster)

#3: Post by jaybar (original poster) »

Hi

My body prefers the Chemex filters. Granted they hold back boldness but coffee with Hario and maybe even Kalita filters gives me heartburn.

Jay

bostonbuzz

#4: Post by bostonbuzz »

I have the round ones- and I don't like drinking bleach. I don't even know where everyone gets the square ones. I haven't experimented, sorry.
LMWDP #353

Spitz.me

#5: Post by Spitz.me »

jaybar wrote:Do you prefer either the folded square or circle filters and why?

Jay
Maybe I shouldn't have assumed, but I ASSUME they are both the same filter. The folded square is convenient and the "circle" filter is not. As I was saying...
Q | What is the difference between the circle and square filter?
A | The only difference is the shape, the paper is the same. Some people find that the squares are easier to remove due to the points that rise above the carafe when the filter is placed in it.
REF - http://www.chemexcoffeemaker.com/support/faq.html#Q1

However, reading your question I made another assumption, and that was that you had asked about 'in the cup' results preference of each filter.
LMWDP #670

Merkinz

#6: Post by Merkinz »

bostonbuzz wrote:I have the round ones- and I don't like drinking bleach. I don't even know where everyone gets the square ones. I haven't experimented, sorry.
Coming from a person who drank a glass full of bleach by accident and burnt his esophagus I can tell you with certainty that bleached filters taste nothing like 'drinking bleach' :lol:

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

Most white filters are oxygenated, not treated with bleach. The brown filters gained popularity over concerns of dioxins.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

jaybar (original poster)

#8: Post by jaybar (original poster) »

Who is using which Chemex filter type and why?

Jay

jonathande4

#9: Post by jonathande4 »

I've been using the circle filters, but I want to try the square ones. I don't know if there's a possibility of more paper taste with more paper or not, but I think the square filters look better...just IMO.

HB
Admin

#10: Post by HB »

jaybar wrote:Do you prefer either the folded square or circle filters and why?
jaybar wrote:Who is using which Chemex filter type [square or circle] and why?
I merged your question posed yesterday into the thread where you posed the same question back in May (?).
Dan Kehn