Dialing in Siphon Brew

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
jpmoore4

#1: Post by jpmoore4 »

Hi,

I just got a Bunn G9 and am trying to dial in the brew specifics, and am hoping to compare with you all.

This is currently where I'm at:

Grind size: regular drip on the Bunn (don't know what that is in microns).
Water: 340 grams
Coffee: 22.8 grams
Temperature: 200 degrees F.
Steep time: 50 seconds.
Draw-down time: 30 seconds
Total brew time: 80 seconds.

It seems like my draw-down time is a bit short compared to what I've seen on here. I'm using a Hario TCA-5, but at 3/5 capacity, so this might be contributing some to the fast draw down.

Does the above recipe sound about right compared to what you do?

Thanks,
John

Jaxx2112

#2: Post by Jaxx2112 »

Who cares about the brew specs.... how's it taste in the cup?

Eastsideloco

#3: Post by Eastsideloco »

I'm using the same brewer this summer, but at it's full capacity, which is closer to 575 ml. This is the recipe I've been using lately:

Grind size: manual drip grind (on the fine side)
Water: 575 grams
Coffee: 37 grams
Temperature: 190°-195°F
Steep time: 70-75 seconds.
Draw-down time: 60-75 seconds
Total brew time: 130-150 seconds

I started using these parameters after coming across this Blue Bottle recipe:

https://bluebottlecoffee.com/preparation-guides/siphon

In order to hit the target brewing temperature, I am adding some room temperature water to the funnel after kick up. I compensate by starting off with slightly less water in the globe. Otherwise, the water temperature in the funnel starts off in the 200° range, as you have noticed.

The lower brew temps do seem to reduce over-extracted tastes in the cup. In some cases, 190° seems to be too low of a brewing temp, as I'll get sour tastes in the cup. But many coffees do well around 190° and those that don't seem to do well at 195°.

Looking forward to some other responses. Now that I'm getting the hang of the Blue Bottle recipe, I should try out some others.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by JohnB. »

I use a Hario Nouveau 5C pretty much every morning. I've played with different grind settings & steep times over the past 3.5 years & have settled on the following:

I fill the water to .5" over the top (5c) line. 38g of coffee ground on Bunnzilla's Electric Perk setting. 45-50 second steep timed from the point that I stir the grounds as the water rises. Water temp of 198° - 200°F. Total brew/drawdown time runs about 2:25 using the Hario cloth filters.
LMWDP 267

Richard

#5: Post by Richard »

jpmoore4 wrote: . . .
Steep time: 50 seconds.
Draw-down time: 30 seconds
Total brew time: 80 seconds. . . .
Total brew time is a variable that needs to be adjusted to (1) the coffee you are using and (2) taste. Some lighter roasted coffees need a lot more than 80 seconds to properly extract -- as much as on the order of 3-4 minutes. But again, let taste be your guide.
-- Richard